Please help with a Planisphere for Kenya!

Hi there, I wondered if anyone could help me.

I'm visiting Kenya at the end of the month and know that I will have a probably never to be repeated chance to observed the night sky. I will be near Mombasa, which is about 4 degrees north i think.

Can anyone advise me on what planisphere to get? Do I need to get an equator one? Philips seem to do them but it's not immediately obvious which one I'd need.

Any help?!

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

Mombasa is about 4 degrees south of the equator I think, so you'll get great views of lots of northern and southern stuff. I've got a planisphere which is for much further south but I've never seen one for the equator. Sorry, not much help.

Where are you staying - we used to go down south of Mombasa to Diani for Christmas when I lived in Kenya - all a bit surreal!

Liz :)

If you know roughly where you're going to, you could probably find the Lat and Long out (Google Earth or some such?) and then print off some charts from Heavens Above for different days and times?

Come to think of it, Heavens Above have a vast list of major towns and cities for loads of countries, so you might just be able to choose one from there.

Archived