Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light of Nifty Fifty(Widefield)

hi guyz following is single shot with minimal processing.taken with 50mm f1.8 II lense on a canon 1000d.

shutter speed=8 seconds

ISO=1600

aperature=1.8

fixed tripod.

also to mention here i was out of city and the sky was very clear although not fully clear.there was some light pollution around

niftywidefield.jpg

Good test...

Did you autofocus on a planet or bright star then switch to manual?

Stop the lens down to 2.8 to kill the coma...

and try 30 secs... should be ok for 50mm lens..

There is a formula based on declination. fl, sensor size that you can use to calculate max exposure length before trailing evident...

Of corse I can't recall it right now...:)

Steve

Nicely done. I agree about stopping the lens down... but the light gathering of that little lens is quite astonishing. Steve, I agree with the 8seconds... That's got a little trailing evident, but only visible whilst pixel peeping, any longer than that and it's noticeable...

Steve, I've experimented with my Nifty on a static tripod, stopped down to f/4. Exposures of 13s are showing a trail noticeable on the preview screen. Even at 18mm, the stars begin to trail (pixel peeping to see) at 30 seconds. It may well be that if you go lower in the east and west that you could get longer, that is definitely true when tracking in AltAz...

But we are drifting off a bit, Sorry about that neelam

thanks guys and no problem about drifting off the topic

it was pitch dark so i decidd to push the nifty to its limit.i fixed the aperature to 1.8 although on the web i has seen pic of people who had captured milkyway and they had fixed the aperature to 2.2 but i dident knew why.even at 8 seconds this lense showed a lot if detail.i think more than my kit lense did 18mm 30 sec exposure.

i am thinking of buying this adapter for my nifty

Fisheye lens Converter 52mm 0.25X Canon Nikon

would it allow 15 secconds exposure without trailing and will it provide a 180 degree view?like would it make 50mm like 12.5mm.and also will it affect the aperature?

Steve, I've experimented with my Nifty on a static tripod, stopped down to f/4. Exposures of 13s are showing a trail noticeable on the preview screen. Even at 18mm, the stars begin to trail (pixel peeping to see) at 30 seconds. It may well be that if you go lower in the east and west that you could get longer, that is definitely true when tracking in AltAz...

But we are drifting off a bit, Sorry about that neelam

Might have to do some testing with mine... does relate to sensor size and position in sky/altitude as you say...

I suppose the real point is that with such a lens and even half decent PA and tracking you can get a load of light to stack for some nice wide shots as we all know....

Steve

Archived