SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky Watcher 120mm rich field refractor as a finder scope

Would one of these be any good as a finder scope with a low power ep??????? or just over kill???? also it could double up as a guide scope ( when I get there ) and I'm struggling with this photo taking and stacking pics buts thats a different story:D

I somtimes use a setup descended from this idea...

http://www.macavity.eclipse.co.uk/00Public/GiroThree.jpg

Here the ST102/F5 acts as "finder" for a MAK127.

Normally, I'd add a Red Dot finder on the ST102. But certainly the ST102 with 32mm 70 Deg AFoV 2" e.p. giving 16x102 / 4.5 deg TFoV makes for quite a GOOD finder. It can be a bit tricky to get the two scopes to point in the same direction though! :)

I think that using an ST102 is overkill as a finder for a MAK127. LOL. But maybe paired with a narrow field of e.g. a MAK180 might be an interesting proposition, in these "dual scope" configurations! :)

Aside: I sense conventional (9x50 etc.) finders use only (vaguely) Plossl/Kellner type eyepieces, so may not be the ultimate in wide angle? They do however have cross hairs, which are useful, from time to time... :)

Would one of these be any good as a finder scope with a low power ep??????? or just over kill????

It'd be terrific if the scope it was a finder for was about 20" aperture.You'd probably want a finder for the finder, too ....

As a guide scope, it's a bit too fat - you'd have trouble getting it through the usual 5" guide scope rings. The weight might be an issue, too, unless your mount is really solid.

Archived