Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First night coming up!

Hi everyone!

My first telescope is arriving tomorrow (fingers crossed thats the delivery date anyway) which gives me a few days to read and set up and read some more etc... before the weekend which hopefully if its clear ill get my first look!!

Could anyone tell me some good things to look at which are easy to find!?

Thanks

Paul :)

You don't tell us what scope you are getting?

As for objects I would say....

M31

M27

M57

M13

Double cluster

Jupiter

Alberio

Download Stellarium, just google it. It's a free planetarium software that will show you whats in the sky at a certain time.

Hi everyone!

My first telescope is arriving tomorrow (fingers crossed thats the delivery date anyway) which gives me a few days to read and set up and read some more etc... before the weekend which hopefully if its clear ill get my first look!!

Thanks

As well as what the others side, I've been looking at The Night Sky September 2009 | Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics as well.

Matt

Hi everyone!

Thanks

m45 is nice and easy to find for a beginner (i should know :))

and yeah i agree stellarium is definetly worth downloading

Hello again,

I have been looking through lots of topics on this forum and found a list of 100 things to spot on the moon so as i have just got my scope and venturing out for the first time im goin to try see some of these things so i can get used to my scope. Is there a way that using just a simple normal digital camera you can put the lens of the camera to "look" down your scope and just take very rough pics so that then i could put a pic next to what i see on the list they dont have to be great pics.

Thanks

:)

wow great ill try it thanks. if i can manage to take anything and work through my technophobia regarding computers ill try put a couple up. thanks

I am also a beginner and have pointed a nikon coolpix down the lens and got this picture :)

post-14509-133877399384_thumb.jpg

I am also a beginner and have pointed a nikon coolpix down the lens and got this picture :)

I only started a few weeks ago and to be honest at first its a bit confusing but now i have joined a local club in my area which i advise is a great way to learn. Stick with it and it all starts to take shape. One thing i did do though was expect to see the colouful images like what you see on the internet but you dont. As descibed in prevoius threads by helpful people on this forum this is done by people who are very good at this sort of thing and basically take lots of images of a subject and stack them together with various software etc etc.

I am enjoying the learning and recently have been observing jupiter and its surrounding moons. Some of the things you will see are not spectacular but to me its more what your looking at rather than the quality of what you are seeing.

Good luck and happy gazing. This forum is the best place for any help i have been a member for around a month now and already have a whole heap of knowledge but i think the thing that surprised me about this forum is the speed in which you recieve many replies to your questions.

Regards Daren

Yep, afocal photography is just pointing the camera lens into the EP and snapping away. I've found with some digital cameras, it's best to have the zoom a little way out to get a nice tight picture.

Like this: -

DSCN2618.jpg

Great picture !:)

Thanks for all the replies! unfortunatley didnt get out this weekend the moon wasnt about! just my luck! i brought a new bike not to long ago and it didnt stop raining for a month so i think its gonna be the same! lol :)

Good pics to! am goin to deffo use that a focal technique get some pics as i want to do the lunar 100 first to get used to my telescope so gonna try and photograph as much as poss.

Thanks again everyone! :o

New telescopes are great for seeing clouds with. Dont worry though someone else will buy a new scope and all those clouds will flock towards his location.

Like any new hobby it takes time to learn. Sky at night and astronomy now magazines print a monthly map with some of the easier targets. Pick your observing site well, the darker the better. Dress warmly and just enjoy

Archived