Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter detail at last!

iamjulian

The forecast of clear skies over the whole country clearly didn't include my little bit of Shropshire. Mackerel skies from horizon to horizon on Friday night so I kept the scope indoors and hoped for better on Saturday night. I wasn't disappointed! I went up the road to my allotment and set up by 8.30pm. The sky wasn't properly dark but a few of the brighter stars were out so without any cooling time I swung the scope at Jupiter. Wow. (I use that word far too much at the moment!) Yes I have seen the photographs in the imaging section, but while I have seen the planet through the scope two or three times before, it has always seemed over exposed - a bright white ball with no sign of any detail. After reading lots of reports from people with similar scopes to me, I was beginning to wonder whether I needed some kind of filter. But tonight I could see two dark bands clear as day. I climbed up through the magnifications but 150x seemed a bit too much, the image not being as sharp. I didn't think I would want a better high powered eyepiece, but I do now!

I am not especially interested in imaging but seeing as I had my camera with me (for wide fields), it seemed rude not to attach it to the barlow and take a couple of frames. This is a single image, 1/20th second. ISO 100. I applied some unsharp mask.

3916433456_51ac5d7453.jpg

I had a look for Neptune and Uranus and Juno, but couldn't see any of them. I need to improve my star hopping. I can see roughly where I need to be pointing, but then looking through the eyepiece there are so many stars that I quickly get completely lost. By now it was about 10pm and nicely dark. The Milky Way was streaming overhead and I could see it from the southern horizon, right overhead, to about thirty degrees above the northern horizon (which has a bit of light pollution). I wondered whether I could photograph it so I placed the camera (Canon 400D with 30mm lens) on the ground and took fifteen ten second subs (if that's the correct terminology) f/4.5 ISO 800. Each image/frame had just a few of the brighter stars showing, but there was no trailing. I then downloaded that deep sky stacker programme and without understanding what I was doing, just used all the default settings to let it do its thing. It seemed to trail the hot pixels, add some banding, and I got a satellite trail through the centre of the image, but apart from that I was amazed at the detail it brought out from seemingly black frames.

3915648939_c3eeacf253.jpg

Seeing the Milky Way is always good, but the highlight tonight was seeing detail in Jupiter. I was well chuffed.

Great shots and well done on spotting banding on Jupiter.

If you have skies like that your 150p will show you all the Messier objects and more. Get yourself a good star atlas and a copy of Turn left at Orion and get star hopping.

You won't be dissapointed.

Nice report and great photos. Jupiter is a real ace when you see the bands like that for the first time.

In addition to what Mick suggests, try a copy of Sky and Telescope's Pocket Star Atlas (you can get it from Amazon). I've found it really helpful out in the field.

"I need to improve my star hopping. I can see roughly where I need to be pointing, but then looking through the eyepiece there are so many stars that I quickly get completely lost."

Totally agree we the above comment, line up the red dot finder where I want, then look through the scope to get baffled :).

Thanks oceanheadted.

I'm not sure how many are stars and how many are censor noise :)

I've read a lot of people saying how Jupiter jumps around, but I've never noticed it to be honest. Every time I look at it, it is stock still. I've seen some youtube video where planets jumps around - what causes that? If it's atmospheric conditions I must have been very lucky on my first dozen or so trips out with the scope.

Well done, a good shot of Jupiter for a single frame, and lovely widefield. Jupiter was wobbling like a wobbly ball on my lappy screen last night when I was making an AVI with my webcam. It's the atmospherics that cause it (seeing).

Archived