NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 7mm Nirvana

irishbloke

I recently caught a bout of the "I need to upgrade my eyepeices" fever. I was desperately ill for a number of days. You know constantly reading reviews late into the night, unable to sleep because of thinking things through. (shamefully it's true!):)

My issue. The 8mm hyperion was grand but I think it was during one night of great seeing when I was looking at Jupiter when I compared it to a 6mm Zhumell plossl. The plossl was much clearer with less colouring on edges of planet. I had worked hard on collimation that night and had it nailed better than I ever had. Combined with the good seeing I really enjoyed that night.

I think it got me to thinking about an upgrade. The 7mm Nirvana looked from the reviews to be a good option as it works well with fast scopes and has 82 degrees feild of view.

So ordered one from FLO who priced matched it. (I was a bit embarrassed asking, but was not a problem!)

First impressions were that it was well made and half the size of the hyperion! It weighs a lot less too. I didn't do a big side by side as I managed to sell the 8mm the first night I had the 7mm.

First night out with it was at a dark site straight from a full days work. The sky was very moist so it wasn't the best night for a test. Jupiter was pretty good. Less of the colour spread around it and probably not as much light spread around it. Doubles weren't great. Globulars were good but not at full contrast with the grey sky. However the views of M31 and M32 were great. Ok m31 was bigger than my field of view but was very clear and m32 stood out brillantly.

Since then I have enjoyed the views of jupiter, the ring nebula, globulars m13, m92, a few doubles and other bits and peices I can see from the back garden.

I really enjoy the how long the an object stays in the field of view. This makes it very easy to use with the dob.

On other hand the fella who bought my 8mm is using it in an 250 orion optics europa and it looked very sharpe there.

The fever continued and I spotted a 2nd hand panoptic 24mm that I snapped up with the possibility of the 17mm going to help fund it. The 24mm is definitely impressive but I also really like the 17mm hyperion that for me works so much better than the 8mm. Its a great eyepeice if anyone is considering it.

So hopefully I have calmed the fever until I can afford a better 2" eyepeice than my panaview.

Who can saves us from this recurring sickness.:)

Brian

It's there for sure. In the panaview 32mm it is very present when your panning. The panoptic is sharp across pretty much all as I can see with a bit of curvature, but great eyepeice. The nirvana looks great. I think there's much less eyepeice issues in the nirvana as aposed to the hyperion. That said the other Orion Optics 10" I had a look at with the hyperion looked much better. Not sure why.

Bottom line pleased with the nirvana and my scope.

Brian

Nice report :)

I've been trying out a 28mm Nirvana and I've been pretty impressed. It's very, very nearly as nice as my 31mm Tele Vue Nagler - the differences are personal preference as much as anything.

As far as I can see the Nirvana's are exactly the same as William Optics UWAN's.

It's good to know that the 7mm is very nice as well.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on it :)

John

I think it may be a bit less. I take my glasses of to stargaze but don't think I'd be able to get full field of view in with glasses on. I don't know if I would have with the hyperion as I didn't try it. I was just out tonight using the 7mm and found in my light polluted site that I was having trouble with light straying in from the side. Need to think about a hood for that site!

Also noticed the view of andromeda must have been exceptional from the darks site that first night. with the moon and street lamps washing it out the view wasn't as spectatular, but still pleasing. Clusters were fun tonight and several doubles looking very nice. Jupiter was not as clear as it has been but the eyepeice worked well on it.

I see the hole in my kit now as a good 2" widefield. I'm thinking a 28mm uwan may be on christmas list but might not be a big enough diff from the 24 panoptic. Maybe have to hpld out for a 35mm panoptic .

Interesting. Glad you made a move... :)

I still favour the 16mm route, hopefully sell the 17mm Hyperion and possibly the 8mm if the uwan performs well barlowed.

I have an OO scope very similar to the europa and my 8mm hyperion is great.

That said...

DMK 21AU04.AS Mono is currently top of my list :)

I'm sure this will change by the time I have raised any funds. :)

Cheers

Jon

Archived