Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Lightbridge Observing report as of 5.9.2009

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" F4.5 FL1829mm

99.5% moon but very low in the sky.

Windy and cloudy.

Started observing about 22.00. It was a very bad night for cloud and only managed to observe four objects between the patches of cloud and clear skies. I've decided to work through the Herschel 400 observing list so concentrated on Cassiopeia.

The moon was very bright and washed out most of the sky so first on my list was the open cluster Ngc 654. A very rich and concentrated cluster of stars. There was a mass of bright stars clumped together that I would estimate around mag 9 and above them a tangle of very dim stars at a guess mag 12. No nebulosity was detected. The cluster covers an area of 5.0'x5.0'.

I then moved about 1° south and started studying Ngc 663. Another open cluster which resembles a kite or diamond pattern. The centre of this kite asterism is the four brightest stars in this cluster and I would estimate them to be around mag 7. They are surrounded by at least 40 much dimmer stars of around mag 11. Some of these mag 11 stars looked like double stars as they were so close to one another. The open cluster is quite large at 16'x 16'. No nebulous glow or colour in the stars could be detected in this cluster.

Just to west of Ngc663 is another open cluster Ngc 659. Another small cluster at 5.0'x5.0' which lies a short distance from the star 44 Cass. At first glance it resembles the body of a dog, it's four brightest stars marking the dog's paws. The rest of the dimmer stars that I would estimate to be mag 12 mark the head, ears and tail of the dog. A very attractive but dim cluster, I would say I saw 40 stars and no nebulosity was found.

Next open cluster in Cassiopeia was Ngc1027, this cluster lies between IC18005 and IC1848. It's covers an area of 20'x20' but is very sparse and not very interesting when compared to the tighter clusters. One bright star of mag 9 was seen towards it's centre and the rest of the 30 stars observed are roughly mag 11 and form a rough circular shape, no nebulosity was detected nor colour in the stars found.

The clouds started to thicken so I packed in around 11.30.

I've added another three members to my Herschel list.

Excellent stuff. I was hoping to get out for a bit last night but it was thick cloud here so unfortunately it was a no go for me. I have just begun to do the Herschel 400 myself (seen a lot of them in the past, but have decided to do a systematic project viewing them all again, with my 12"). It's not looking good tonight either, but later in the week's looking more promising - unless they change the forecast again.

Cassiopeia's a very rich hunting ground for open clusters.

This is the second time Steve. First time I moved the secondary mirror and mucked up the collimation, as it was dark I struggled to get the collimation right so gave up.

Btw the cotton wool arrived but no one in so down post office depot so will clean mirror during the week.

Archived