NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Losmandy users - Autoguide question

Okay, obs I am working on has a Losmandy Titan HGM mount. We're going to autoguide with either the Atik 16IC on chip or Meade DSI-C with a GPUSB using PHD. PHD is being used as it's for students, and needs to be rapid and simple to setup. Plus, we're supporting Nebulosity, Art Capture and Maxim as aquisition apps (depending on which camera people want to use/software), which means that PHD just becomes a universal stop gap/easy app.

So...anything I need to know. All of this works flawlessly on the EQ6, but on a Gemeni L4 handbox equipped Losmandy, I would like to know if there are any pitfalls I need to be aware of...

TIA

I forget the details, but I remember that the ST-4 input is disabled in one Gemini mode (Visual, I think it's called) so you need to be in the Photo mode or whatever the third one is called - I spent a night once trying to figure out why nothing was happening for this reason. It's in the Gemini docs somewhere.

Other than that I don't think there's anything significant, my G11/Gemini-4 was very easy to guide with.

Think this is the relevant bit

The Visual Mode

In visual mode, the Guiding Speed is not available. When you press a button, the

telescope moves at Centering Speed. Momentarily pushing the opposite button lets the

system accelerate to the manual slewing speed. If you are moving both axes, both will

speed up. Ramping up and down in speed occurs independently for both axes.

This mode is intended for visual observing and for looking up objects. The autoguider

port is not active in this mode.

I think it starts in Visual mode (or it's easy to accidentally set it, can't remember) and it's somewhat buried in the manual it's an easy way to get confused - I was!

with maxim you can guide through the pc connector it dosent matter if its in visual or photo mode.....ive guided though both guider port and pc port

you just need to download the ascom platform and the ascom gemini controller.....set the telescope in maxim and guider to guide through the telescope.real easy...no gpusb needed.....that way you can use the catalog in maxim and the gemini controller and all the telescope control software in maxim....

Think you should be fine with PHD Nick, just have a short checklist that includes checking it's in the right mode - Gemini is great, but with a UI stuck in the 80s and an attitude that the user knows what they're doing, so a checklist might be a good idea in general.

nick if you are acquiring the frames with maxim, why are you using phd to guide with.....setting up the guider is very easy maxim and its one less bit of software running. It will all run in one window too and once the guider is setup and calibrated you dont need to calibrate it again....i may calibrate mine once every couple of months or so....and you can apply flats and darks to the guider subs for nice clean guide images (if you want)...honest its so easy to do;)

worth looking at, at some point

aha...

Read the thread

We're not exclusively using Maxim...we have Nebulosity and Art Capture also (basically for ease of use)..

And yes, personally I think Maxim is quite easy (moreso with a permanent setup) for guiding, but this is really aimed at some high school kids, people who have never imaged before etc...and most of the time, I won't be on site

Hence the PHD queston...as if you can't use that, give in...

aha...

Read the thread

We're not exclusively using Maxim...we have Nebulosity and Art Capture also (basically for ease of use)..

And yes, personally I think Maxim is quite easy (moreso with a permanent setup) for guiding, but this is really aimed at some high school kids, people who have never imaged before etc...and most of the time, I won't be on site

Hence the PHD queston...as if you can't use that, give in...

understand :D

I use the DSI Pro Camera and Phd with the GPUSB hub works great. As Ben says you have to go into Setup Handcontroller and change it to Photomode for Autoguding I normally do this after I Alighn My scope. Sometimes I have Ra did not move enough message in PHD depends what scope I have on if its the FSQ its normally fine but with the C11 the clutch knobs are tighter and that could be the problem Iam very happy how PHD works with the setup and I only use the default settings and set the LOOP to 1.0 secs

Les

Archived