Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSS Stuff

I noted in this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-image-processing-help-techniques/86578-has-anybody-seen-before.html

That there was something funny happening to my stars somewhere in the stacking process with DSS. The problem with the donut stars was solved by turning off the settings in the cosmetic tab so:

Tip One

If weird things are happening to your stars after stacking in DSS then turn off all cosmetic settings, also turn off the medium filtering and automatic hot pixel detection. If you are using all of the calibration darks, falts, flat darks, and bias frames then you shouldn't need any of the cosmetic stuff in DSS anyway.

Whilst in the process of sorting this problem out I also stumbled upon another one. Sometimes after stretching a bit I end up with a diagonal streaky pattern across the image.

Tip Two

I worked out that if the darks, bias and flats are all stacked using kappa sigma then I don't get this streaky noisey problem.

I hope someone finds that's useful!:D

Sam

Archived