NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Running a HEQ5 Skyscan on 'D' cell batteries?

GazOC

Is this realistic?

I currently have an 'old' style HEQ5 which I run off 8 rechargable 'D' cell (or is it 'C', I forget!) and I'm thinking about getting the Skyscan upgrade but I'd like to keep using the batteries for ease of use.

Is this worthwhile/ possible and how many sessions on average are the batteries good for?

No, 100% no.

The PRO mounts are so fussy on power, it will not work at all...

In the upgrade kit it says that the old battery power pack cannot be used.

All of the problems that I've ever had with the HEQ5 Pro have been power related.

Sorry to be negative!

Ant

The 8 x 1.2V (whether it's NiCd or NiMH) nominal cell voltage would only give you 9.6V, so well below recommended minimum. If you really had to use D cells, then I'd use 10 of them. Even then, I'm not sure how reliable this would be. A proper power pack or a sealed lead-acid 12V battery would be much better.

If you're observing site is close to mains power i would suggest getting a 12V 3A+ power supply, this will give you enough power for the scope and a dew tape or 2 and never have to worry about it running out!! Make sure you get an RDS? device for any electricity that is going outside and take appropriate precautions.

I would suggest going for wither the 5A version, or even the 10A version depending on what else you're going to run off of it...

I run everything {HEq5:3 Dew Straps:CCD} through mine and I think I very close to the 5A limit...

The mount itself requires 2Amp I beleive.

Cheers

Ant

Archived