NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GOTO for Dobs

I have been watching with interest the thread on the GOTO upgrade/mod for the Slywatcher Flextube Dobs. Seems like a good idea, but I am of the opinion that SkyWatcher have not included this in the initial version for a reason, even if this is that they have not had time/resources to fully test the capabilities of their hardware.

The only other in-built dob of this size/price that I have seen/heard of is the Orion Optics USA Skyquest XX12 but it is appreciably more expensive. It's also of a truss design, the ease of set up of the flextube is another appealing feature.

Any other options for me?

Thanks

Iain

The Orion SkyQuest XX12 is only a push to dob (digital setting circles) not motorized. In the UK it is way overpriced for what it is, as it is imported into the USA from the far east and then imported again into the UK. SkyWatcher is imported directly into the UK from the far east hence the lower prices.

There are other options, the best being the StellarCAT drive system, but that's about £1,500, not including the Argo Navis DSC needed to make it GOTO. The Dob Driver is much cheaper but somewhat limited.

Otherwise consider an equitorial platform, only an hours tracking but better for astro photography.

John

Archived