Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galaxies 193-196

mdstuart

What a night. Started at 9.45 and found comet Christensen. Lovely bright blob, even my 12 year old could see it. Its right overhead near Sagitta. You really must catch it if you have not done so already.:)

A few planetary nebulas now. NGC 7027 in Cygnus. Now my 8 year sold complained his leg was aching so I had to keep running up stairs and loosing my night vision and it was so tough to locate. So finally at 11pm there it is. In my 6.4mm plossl I can see a round bright disk and its even better in the OIII. Switch back to the 12.5mm and its a star so that is why I could not find it! So tiny!

On to NGC 7048 another planetary. Much larger but fainter. Very distinct shape on the side nearest a brightish star. Fine.

So on to galaxy spotting

11.30pm and NGC 7625 in Pegasus located. Another faint one but a lovely circular shape. My 193rd galaxy..

11.40 re looked at NGC 7479. Nice long streak of faint wisp. No sign of spiral arms to me though....

11.50pm NGC 7742 in Pegasus (194) Oval faint galaxy but pretty easy to find.

12.00am Looked again at NGC 7814 a Caldwell galaxy. First time in the 10 inch - superb fairly bright oval...

00.15am NGC 7817 (195) Now this was the toughest of the night. Really only glimpses using averted vision...Surface brightness 12.9 according to my notes.

00.40 NGC 891 (196) Yes finally I can see it. Not with the 6.4mm though. Thats why I cant see it, its too big! So a faint steak of light in the 20 and 12.5mm eyepiece.:grin:

Had a look at the sky with my eye to see how clear it was. Actually very good, I can see the Perseus double cluster and a mag 5.5 star just up from the base of the Pegasus square. M31 also visible to the naked yeye. The milky way was also pretty evident.

Tried the 15 by 70 binocs as well. M31 Awesome in fact I would say FAR better than a telescope. It seemed large and vivid in its shape in the binoc. Could also make out M33 pretty easily and then found the cluster NGC 7789 in Cassiopea which was a lovely little haze of light.

A great night!

Mark

Archived