Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

9 x 63 Roof Prism Binos

Has anybody experience of using the 9 x 63 roof prism type binoculars for astronomy ?.

My limited understanding is that the roof prism type is not that great for astro purposes but that could be out of date now :)

Any views appreciated :grin:

Thanks,

John

I had a pair once and the optics are great to view through. The 9x63's I had were very long. The only reason I got rid of them is that I prefer the ergonomics of the poro prisms binoculars, just my own personal preference. Have a look in the binocular observing section (in the earlier pages) as the person who bought them of me gave a few reviews of them.

I don't have the 9x63 but I do use an 8x56 roof prism which is very similar.

As long as you go for bins with good quality coatings then roofs are no different for astro use than porro's. The main problem is the length with such large appetures which does make them feel strange in the hand.

I find it very comfortable but others don't. You can't really tell without trying I'm afraid!

Archived