Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1000D vs. 450D vs. 40D

Ben Ritchie

Suspect this is almost a "FAQ", but can't track down an answer with search - anyway, I was wondering how these three compare as a 'modified' DSLR.

I already have a 1000D, but i'm contemplating getting a second Canon camera with the idea that one's for daylight use (unmodified) and one's for astro (modified). Budget would be £500, which should be enough for any of the 1000D/450D/40D (used), and LiveView is a must-have. I'm not a particularly serious or capable daylight photographer, so the 1000D is probably perfectly good for my daytime needs.

Anyway, is there a benefit from the 450D or 40D over the 1000D for astro use? The 1000D and 40D seem to have the same sized sensor (10.1MP, 22.2 x 14.8mm CMOS for both) but I can't figure out if they're actually the same or if the 40D uses some lower-noise variant.

I would go for the 40D as the screen size is 3 inch and it's 14 bit compared to the 1000D 12 bit and 2.5 inch screen. The 40D has more features for daytime use and a heavier duty body. I have a 50D and 400D and I find the 50D noisier than the 400D. I think it would be best to keep the megapixel count down as this will give larger more sensitive pixels. Therefore I would go for the 40D over the 450D.

Regards

Kevin

looks like the 500D is the quietest which is not what I expected

Me neither! Thought it was a typo at first and meant 50D, but apparently not. Only problem is that the 500D is out of the budget anyway, and an Astronomiser-modified 500D is getting on for QHY8 money - i'm much too ham-fisted to do it myself.

I'm not too worried about daytime features, as the 1000D has more than enough to confuse me ... it's really just the astro performance of the various sensors i'm trying to figure out

An interesting thread, I like Kevin have a 400D Modded & 50D (unmodded) but tests that Christian Buil conducted between the 40D & 50D and 5D & 5D Mk II, he rated the 50D the better camera than the 40D and one of the best Canons tested for Astrophotography to date. The 500D was not tested as it was not around at the time.

Website here EOS40D / EOS50D comparison there are also tests of the 350 & 400D, unfortunately there do not appear to be comparable tests on the 1000D or 450D.

Brendan

The more I read, the more complex it seems - and, in absolute terms, there doesn't appear to be general agreement on fairly fundamental issues (i.e. are more pixels good or bad). The direct comparisons i've found so far tend to span different generations of cameras as people have upgraded and compared new with old. Given that Canon seem to be continually improving the sensors, it's unsurprising that the newer ones do better, but within a generation it's harder to tell.

My gut feeling at the moment is that a fair price comparison is modified 1000D vs. unmodified 40D (both approx. £500) and, for pure astro-use, the 1000D wins there on H-alpha sensitivity unless there's a big difference in noise levels - my reading so far suggests there isn't. The 500D looks excellent but is out of the budget, I haven't worked out the 1000D vs. 450D pros and cons yet.

In between the xxxD rules! sux! rulses! suxx! noise of CN there are some very good technical analyses, e.g.

Telescope Reviews: Small pixel sensors do not have lower performance

but there doesn't appear to be a general consensus

Archived