Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Too many scopes, too few mounts

Hi all,

I currently have an EQ6Pro which I am very happy with, but I have both an FLT132 for imaging and a C11 for visual, occassional imaging.

I am hoping to get a second mount to allow me to use primarily the C11 whilst the EQ6 is carring the FLT132 and guide scope for imaging.

I've been considering a second EQ6 or a CGEM, but would welcome any opinions or alternatives. For example is there a better mount for imaging which would free up the EQ6 for observing??

Looking at a budget of no more than £1500, preferably less!!

Cheers

Stuart

I'd go for EQ6 or CGEM - possibly the latter as it's apparently got the decent polar-align routine of the CGE. Saying that, the EQ6 is very much a known quantity while the CGEM is new.

Stretch the budget a bit and you're into used G11/CGE territory, but while they're an improvement over the CGE it's not a huge improvement, and i'm unsure if it's worth the extra outlay - if you want a real leap in imaging performance then you need to go up another notch to the Tak EM200, and we're now into the big bucks.

So i'd vote EQ6 or CGEM, depending on how you feel :)

Thanks Ben

TBH i've been so happy with my EQ6 that i'd have no worries getting another, although I have heard a few rumblings that it may be a bit of your luck if you get a good one or a bad one.

The CGEM would just be to "try something different and give me a bit of a choice over which was best for imaging!

I'm not financially at a point where I can find £4-5k for a mount so i'd most likely be in the EQ6 / CGEM range, but if anyone knows where I could get a CGE for £1500 PLEASE let me know, lol.

TBH i've been so happy with my EQ6 that i'd have no worries getting another, although I have heard a few rumblings that it may be a bit of your luck if you get a good one or a bad one.

The CGEM would just be to "try something different and give me a bit of a choice over which was best for imaging!

I've been through a similar thought process, as i'd quite like a C11 on a separate mount - very similar setup to what you're considering - and came to pretty much the same conclusion about mounts. In the absence of anything negative once reviews and user reports start to appear I'd probably end up with the CGEM to try something different.

if anyone knows where I could get a CGE for £1500 PLEASE let me know, lol.

Well, as I said it needs just a little budget stretching ... :) If you're fortunate on the used market you might well find one for not a massive amount more though

There is a second-hand Losmandy G11 (with Gemini L3) on UK Astro Buy and Sell for £1000. I don't know anything about these mounts (apart from the fact that they get excellent reviews and UK imager Peter Shah uses one). What I can say is that I purchased my 31mm T5 off Liam (the seller) and it was in perfect condition. He has a genuine reason for sale (off to Uni as a mature student to study Astro Physics). If I hadn't already got a mount I would have already been on my way up to Cumbria!!!!

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=27239

As you'll see from the ad. it comes with a powertank and additional weights - looks to be a good deal, and well within your budget.....? You wanted to try 'something different' - I bet this is your chance!!!!

He's also had (still got), a TAK FS102 for sale to increase his UNI funds.....

A nice chap who appreciates good quality gear.....

Something to think about!

Regards

Damian

Archived