NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Furthest South?

Meneldil

Some years ago I got interested in trying to see the furthest southern star possible from my location. At 52 deg N, in theory I ought to be able to see stars with a declination of 38 deg S - the best I've managed so far is 32 deg 52 min S (gamma Piscis Austrinis), with binoculars.

Personally I think that's not bad for an urban horizon with trees, houses and street lamps - what 'limit of navigation' have other people reached from where they are?

If you live on the south coast you can in theory see Shaula (the sting star in Scorpius) don`t know if anyone has actually ever done it though. I have houses to my South so i`m pretty limited but i can see Fomalhaut without too much trouble....

Alan:)

If you live on the south coast you can in theory see Shaula (the sting star in Scorpius) don`t know if anyone has actually ever done it though. I have houses to my South so i`m pretty limited but i can see Fomalhaut without too much trouble....

Alan:)

I have seen Shaula. Fomalhaut is pretty easy from here.

Agreed- Shaula can be easily seen from the cliffs of South Devon. We used tocome from Plymouth and set up on Rame Head to observe the 'deep south'. You would think there was no Light Pollution out to sea - but the Eddystone lighthouse 8 miles due South, out in the English Channel was a PITA!

Eddystone Lighthouse, "shiptrails" & startrails (Canis Major??)

Eddystone-1.jpg

Archived