Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A night with the clusters

mike.brightmore

Last night, 17/18 August was just one of those nights when I know why I love astronomy. Warm, clear and no dew either. No moon either - at least not until the wee small hours and then only a thin crescent. Tonight is shaping up quite well also so will not be long.

Got the scope ready and the big binos atop the tripod and decided to feast on the little jewel boxes of open clusters. The double cluster in the sword handle of Perseus had to be first. Breathtaking through the bins. Through the scope I could only examine one half of the double at a time but could resolve many more stars. M34 in Perseus also stood out well.

Then up to Cassiopeia where open clusters abound, each has its own characteristics but best viewed with a telescope. The backdrop of the Milky Way added to the effect. The Messier clusters M52 and M103 were less impressive than some of the NGC ones. NGC 663 was by far the best sight and NGC 7789 the largest.

After a tour of the clusters around and between Aquila and Ophiucus I went to one of my favourites, M11 - The Wild Duck cluster in Scutum. Well over a hundred stars in this massive open cluster could be clearly resolved as could the wedge shape which is supposed to resemble the flight formation of migrating ducks. It looked fabulous (even over roof-tops and streetlights) so had to stack a quick AVI (below).

By this time (2.00 am) Capella was well up in the north east so had to look at Auriga's beautifull collection of clusters (M36, M37, M38 and NGC 1746 and 2281). Easilly picked out in the big binos but stunning in the telescope.

Looking at open clusters with their delicate chains of stars are the times when I most wish I could draw. By now Taurus was well uo in the east so what better way to finish a night of open clusters than to linger over the Pleiades (M45) - the Seven Sisters (and parents).

post-15108-133877392239_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike, the image is a lovely addition to your great report! :) M11's one of my favorite open clusters. Visually, i always see a lot of nebulous areas and tendrils which (i'm sure) are the glow from the dimmer stars shown in your image. Can't say as i've ever seen the Duck connection, though.. maybe i need to back down a bit with the power?

Thanks - Its the first time I've noticed the flying ducks formation (possibly because I had just read about it) There is a big 'V' shape or chevron pointing to the right. A bit like Hyades but with loads more stars.

Forgot to mention Carol that I also had a good look at the 'Coathanger' cluster / asterism. Between Deneb and Altair - almost directly down from Albireo. Never looked all that good in the finderscope (too small) or the telescope (too big) but it just filled the field of view of the 25 x 100 binos and all the main stars were very bright. A really lovely sight. Next time I'm in Auriga I really must look for your big ol' smiley face with the bins.

Archived