NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope problem?

Having only looked at some objects in the daylight and once at the moon to practice finding and focussing with my new telescope I at last experienced a clearish sky last night. With excitement I ventured out into the garden to look at some stars. Being a beginner it took me a while to actually find a star with the telescope, when I eventually did find one I got a white circle with a shadow or image of the stuff inside the telescope blocking most of the image. This doesn't appear when I look at anything else. I could see the moon nice and clear with no obstruction and indeed anything else I looked at. Am I doing something wrong? Please help!!

Maybe it was out of focus then! I could see what is in your attached image but with a white circle behind it! It was quite a large circle. Maybe I need to use less magnification? Very bizarre...

Definitely need more practice I think!

Collimation isn't the problem. If you could see the craters on the Moon clearly, you should not have had to adjust the focus unless you changed eyepieces or put in a Barlow. What you are d escribing is exactly what you see when the telescope is very out of focus. This could occur if you change eps, and the solution is to rack the focuser out and in until you find the focal point for that ep.

If you cannot get to focus at either end of the focus travel, then you have a mechanical problem that you should talk to us about some more, but I doubt this will happen.

Maybe it was out of focus then! I could see what is in your attached image but with a white circle behind it! It was quite a large circle. Maybe I need to use less magnification? Very bizarre...

Definitely need more practice I think!

Sounds like you were WAY out of focus then. Collimation errors look like the star is one sided, but still a pinprick of light. I'd try playing with the focuser and see what happens :)

Huh.. never had that spot on my 6SE. Again, are you sure you have the thing focused. ALL stars are pinpoints of light. The only things that have any discernible area are the planets, the moon and some DSOs

Knob underneath eyepiece - yup. Stars should be pinpricks of light with no area. You have something wrong if they are anything other than that. I suspect you haven't focussed enough - keep going - there's a LOT of focus travel.

Big circles for stars = out of focus, not a collimation problem. SCTs should be checked (I check mine almost every time I'm out). Miscollimation will show as a one-sided pinprick of light (have a look in the manual for the 6SE)

Cas storms - depends what you're expecting to see - I can see between 2 and 4 bands plus an area that is the great red spot. I have a feeling from your other comments elsewhere that you may not be able to see anything due to focus being out. Anyway, as to filters - take a look here: SkyandTelescope.com - Planets - A Jupiter Observing Guide

Yes, the focus knob is the one on the back and to the side/below of the eyepiece.

How big were the stars in the eyepiece? If they are in focus and sharp, stars are not big enough to see the secondary shadow...

I was a bit thrown by this 'out of focus' star image when I first started observing. It looked like something was wrong! But it really isn't - it's perfectly normal. Just remember to twiddle with the focus knob when you change eyepieces and even when moving on to a different object to get the sharpest image you can.

Best of luck :)

You are WAY out of focus - and that's why you can't see any of Jupiters belts too.... Keep turning the knob - SCTs have a huge focus range.... Also, until you get focus, you don't know if you need to collimate.

You are WAY out of focus - and that's why you can't see any of Jupiters belts too.... Keep turning the knob - SCTs have a huge focus range.... Also, until you get focus, you don't know if you need to collimate.

I agree entirely with this diagnosis - the scope is not in focus. Even just shortway of focus will show stars looking like ring doghnuts with the "hole" being the shadow of the secondary mirror.

Keep turning that focus knob !.

John

Archived