NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

R.I.P little mak

Well,

unfortunately I have run an 'unplanned trial' and found that my 90mm Maksutov is absolutely no use as a basketball!

Apparently it doesn't bounce at all!

Took it out for a quick peek between clouds at Jupiter and didn't see some kids toys on the ground (due it being dark). I had just lifted the scope up high to move around a patio chair when I tripped and went headlong into a flower bed. The scope hit the concrete from about 7 feet and had extra impetus from me. Ironically the glass survived quite well but the finder was literally ripped off the tube and the primary has come loose and shot forward complete with the baffle tube and hit the secondary. there are also some unidentifiable rattles from behind the primary.

It's a bit of a blow really as at the moment this is the only scope capable of seeing the moon and planets over the fence. I have to have very tall fences to block the flood lights but when things are at a low declination I'm now stuffed.

I just hope the neighbours slept through it as my choice of language at the time was certainly colourful!

I feel for you.

I once bought a brand new Meade Series 4000 32mm Plossl and on the very 1st night out with it after the clouds had parted I rotated the tube in the rings as I switched sides. unfortunately the scope/eyepiece must have cooled a little and the set screw was no longer tight enough to hold it... 5 1/2 ft onto slabs.

Nice dent and chunk out of the side of the lens but actually still looks not too bad for most of the fov.

Thanks for the commiserations guys.

lightbucket,

insurance is probably not worth it for this scope given the value and the excess/premium hikes involved. I live an area not far from a flood zone so insurers have been taking any excuse to raise premiums rather drastically.

haitch,

I once dropped a Tal 40mm in the same way. Of course as it was Tal and I hadn't actually detonated a nuke next to it, all I damaged was the paint.

Archived