Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'Wildey Rocket' Refractor

PaulC-I

Hi,

After a little delay from being buried in other scope projects since, I have had requests to preview my refractor project, completed a year ago.

This is my first scope and something I've wanted to do for some time. I was fortunate to acquire a 5" doublet F10 achromat produced by one Henry Wildey, dated 1977. This had been found in a draw by the previous owner and built into a plastic tube scope.

After consideration I opted for a classic shaped hexagonal box. I designed in an adjustable ‘push pull’ mechanism into the focusor end in case any finer adjustment was needed. The objective had its own substantial push pull cell which I have since blackened to cut out stray light.

The tube has four baffles which have very thin knife edges.

The tube is constructed from ¼” Birch lamination. The whole scope with dew shield weights in at approx 23lbs

The losmandy has since been sold and I now use a bray image alt-az tablet mount. (Have just recently acquired a Beacon hill Mk1 ready for a refurb).

The performance of the scope is very excellent for an achromat. I had this scope at a public event at Guildford, earlier in the year and people gave good feedback after viewing through other scopes on display.

Once collimated there is hardly any detection of false colour, even when trying to induce any from the limb of a full moon!

I’ve just completed an 8” F7 reflector using a Wildey pyrex mirror, circa 1973. Next up is a 14” 5.3 Jim Hysom mirror truss dob!

I completely under understand the interest that people have to build their own ‘rocket ships’ and wish them every success in their venture. it has been a very satisfying experience to ‘arrive there’ under my own my own steam, but also very addictive!

Thanks for your interest

Paul

post-14003-133877391632_thumb.jpg

post-14003-13387739164_thumb.jpg

post-14003-133877391647_thumb.jpg

post-14003-133877391654_thumb.jpg

Sweeeeeeeeet scope there Paul, good to see something so unique. Good luck with the Dob by the way. I know what you mean by addictive I have just started my Dob and its a struggle each day to not be day dreaming of my next step in the build.

Thanks for the complementary remarks folks. I've been ejoying this site for the last year, never occured that anybody may be interested in what I've been up to.

Glad I have made a contribution. I hope it may encourage a few others to have a go at building their own.

I'm very close to, and considering a 6" F12 or 15!

Never enough time throughout the year!!

Cheers

Paul

Thanks chaps, Yes Tom, I'm sure the beacon hill MK1 should hold up.The scope only weights in at approx 22 lbs. I've also been using a Tablet Alt AZ mount by Bray imaging which works wonders and would probably take ten times the weight, if the tripod held out!

I'm being swayed by the desire to ordera 6" f12 or 15, so I'm considering putting my 'Grab & go' SW pro-max 180 up for grabs tomorrow morning to raise the funds (great planetary views, but just does'nt look like a refractor!)

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

That 8" Wildey wouldn't be the mirror I sold on Astro buy and sell a while ago would it? If so I hope you were happy with it!

I'd love to see the pictures of it in it's new home, it's got to be better that the cardboard tube dob I had it in. I remember seeing the refractor when I delivered the mirror and being very impressed at the time.

Tim.

Archived