Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet another ? for ya

weareborg

I have been looking for some Marine Plywood from my local timber merchants today and unfortunately they only do it in 8'x4' sheets. I was thinking of using 1/2 inch for the UTA and side bearings ( double thickness of course) and 3/4 inch for the mirror box and ground board, so I shouldnt really need a full size sheet of the each.

So my question is this. Could I use normal Exterior Plywood for the scope? B&Q sell it in 4'x2' sheets and it is alot less, to say the least.

Andy

Absolutely Andy, nothing wrong with non marine Ply. All my Dobs were made with bog standard Plywood.

Mind you, I've seen some beautifully crafted Dobsonian Mounts using inlays of different kinds of wood. Mostly in the States though.

One guys wife had his as a piece of furniture in the living room it was so pretty.:) I think Arthur's (Milamber) Leviathan (Now Sold) was custom made, although I am not absolutely certain on that. Could have been someone else.

Ron.:)

I agree - there is a lot of nonsense talked about on types of plywood for dobs.

Exterior grade ply from diy shops or wood suppliers will be fine.

Perhaps the finish is not quite so nice, but you pays your money and you takes your choice...

/callump

Thanks for that Ron. I think I was thinking along on the lines of it being more asthetically pleasing to the eye if I was to use Marine Ply or some other exotic wood. Unfortunately being out of work at the moment sort of puts that out of the window. Atleast now though, I can get some normal exterior grade plywood and use that. That will certainly please the misses. lol

Maybe for a bigger scope in the future (if this works out right) I would go along that route. I would certainly love a bigger scope.

Andy

Archived