Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flocking telescopes

haitch

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All flocked now. I ended up going for some black sticky back velour from Fred Aldous in Manchester www.fredaldous.co.uk. I couldn't find the stuff on the Hobbycraft site. I used 5 linear metres at 450mm wide which cost me £25 plus a couple of quid postage. I've just got enough left to flock around the secondary.

Anyway here's some views of the inside of the tube during and after. It's made a dramatic difference (the shiny parts were painted with a Matt black balckboard type paint for comparison).

Can't wait to see how it is in the field - some more construction to do first though.

post-14514-133877399398_thumb.jpg

post-14514-133877399405_thumb.jpg

post-14514-133877399413_thumb.jpg

Haitch,

I decided to use a thin white card, and stick the velour to the card and slide the card inside the scope's tube.

So I had no glue on the inside of the tube, and if I ever wanted to renew the flocking, all I had to do was slide the cardboard tube out of the scope tube.

What a good idea!:o

I am just thinking about flocking my Meade SN10, I will be doing it this way for sure!

What a good idea!:o

I am just thinking about flocking my Meade SN10, I will be doing it this way for sure!

My problem with doing it with the card tube was the difficulty of trying to get an almost 16" diameter 5 1/2 foot tube thin enough not to vignette (according to Newtwin there is virtually no unused light gathering area at the entrance to my tube) but rigid enough to hold in place with the velour attached.

My problem with doing it with the card tube was the difficulty of trying to get an almost 16" diameter 5 1/2 foot tube thin enough not to vignette (according to Newtwin there is virtually no unused light gathering area at the entrance to my tube) but rigid enough to hold in place with the velour attached.

Ah, yes good point.

I bought the felt today too and you know how it is, can't wait to get the job done. I think I may be OK with the SN10 due to the corrector lens carrier (it is a Schmidt Newtonian), it has about a 20mm flange.

Also, just finished building a scope storage and maintenance rack today, quite chuffed with it. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Looking forward to the photos with intrigue - always looking for ways to keep my gear from under the missus' / kids' feet.

From your co-ordinates I gather your skies are somewhat better than mine - I'll probably have to wait a few weeks for the clouds to clear once I've finished before I can test it out. :o

Archived