Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoculars.

Milamber

Right now, I am on a binocular run. I am after a decent pair, I am making a couple of pairs also, and I have quite a few pairs here for evaluation that I have bought to play with.

Now then, when you look for things on the Internet and you do not really have the experience of the item to say "Right, I want blah-blah ones...", the only thing you can fall back on is the reputation of the manufacturer.

And so, you may sit down in front of your computer and fire up the Ebay site. Enter Leica binoculars maybe, or Swarovski binoculars even. Then you get realistic and start on Eschenbach binoculars, Zeiss binoculars, Pentax binoculars maybe, right? Still feeling the pockets shrinking rapidly, but really wanting something you *know* will be good you start on the names you have experience of, yes? So you type in Meade binoculars, maybe Celestron binoculars... desperately you might even go for Bresser or Skywatcher binoculars, am I right?

Tell you what though... I bet the last thing you thought of typing would be "8X21 Sports Binoculars Telescope Hunting Camping Silver", eh?

Arthur

If I was asked to recommend a pair of Astro binoculars it would be the Penatx 20x60 PCF as they aren't too heavy, have built in field flatteners, and are capable of showing Saturns moons. Super sharp and clear images.

My second favourite was a pair of Swift Ultralite 8x42s. Very small, light and compact but gave great views but have been discontinued. Can't believe I was stupid enough to sell them.

John

I knew someone would start a best bins debate, but that was not the point of this post John, it was simply that sometimes you gotta look past the labels. 20x60 PCF's would take just about a year's spending money and to me, though they are good bins, they're not that good. No bins are.

Arthur

Been doing some googling... It looks like these are BAK7 prism bins... probably grey imports from Japan, based on the google results of vixen acty 8x21. The translate tool didn't do too good a job on the pages though... but... for the money, they're like the Lidl 10x25's (got 3 sets)... worth having a set or 2, and for the kids... doesn't matter if they get bashed.

Hmm - BAK7 is OK for smaller objectives as far as I know - it's the larger where edge problems occur. They do still have the Vixen name... which even as a grey import is not to be sniffed at! Anyway, I have a pair on the way so we shall see. No need for anyone to rush out and get a pair - looks to be several left - mine will be here soon and then we'll see.

Arthur

You misunderstand, I wasn't talikng about "best bins" but rather what I would recommend.

There are of course better ones available at very high prices but I've never seen any others as good as the Pentax 20x60s for astro use at this relatively budget price of under £200.00 if you shop around. The Swift Ultralites can be picked up for well under a hundred pounds if you're lucky to find a pair.

John

Archived