NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Source for Truss poles

weareborg

I am in the process of sourcing various parts that I am going to require to rebuild my scope and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good source of aluminium tubing for the truss poles???

As I am not sure of what size I need, I could do with some recommendations. The scope will be an 8" f5. I was thinking of this from B&Q FFA Concept Raw Aluminium Round Tube Aluminium Coloured (L)2000mm x (T)1.2mm x (Dia) 20mm, 2004.5206

Andy

I was ogling that when I was in B&Q t'other week. Always on the look out for the next project. :)

Have you considered the steel tube? It'll be a bit heavier but I think it's cheaper and, from my experience with tripods, is less prone to vibration

If I was to use stell tubing, wouldnt that add to making the UTA heavier, thereby requiring the need to add extra weights on the back of the mirror box????

I am trying to rebuid my Skywatcher 8" OTA into a portable truss dob, as based on the designs and ideas from 'The Dobsobian Telescope' book.

Andy

If you search around you can find TV arial masts that fit the bill quite nicely, and somewhat cheaper than the stuff from b&q.

Aluminium alloy is preferred to steel - the weight of steel changes the balance point a lot, and they are a lot heavier to lug around.

/callump

Will depend on the length, but for an 8 tube truss, a la Obsession, a 2" tube sounds overkill to me. On my 20" the tubes are 1", though admitedly as it is fast the tubes are not too long.

For an 8" f/5 dob, the tubes are not going to be longer than 3ft - 20mm, 1.2mm wall will be fine for an 8 tube truss.

/callump

Thanks for the comments and the links guys. Will take a look now. I am thinking along the lines of having 4 truss poles rather than 8. I love the design of the 'Alice' scope but fitting a light shroud to a 2 pole truss would be awkward I recon, and an 8 pole truss for a 8" dob would be alittle over kill. I think!!!! lol

Andy

Well that's certainly given me some room for thought. Never thought of those ideas guys. Cheers for that.

Well I guess its time to start laying out some good old fashioned drawings, onto paper, I might add. lol. I dont have a CAD drawing program, cause I can never seem to get my head around them, so I'll be sticking to the old fashioned way. Much easier I think.

Wish me luck!!!!! lol

Andy

I used to use paper and pen and Rotring drawing board - never could get on with the CAD programs either. Then i found OpenOffice Draw - really quite intuitive and easy to use...

Re. Banksticks - a good idea, i did some internet trawling on these as a possible source for carbon fibre truss poles (lighter and stiffer than Al), but have not progressed to actually looking at them in a shop!

/callump

Archived