NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M27 Ha+OIII+Synthetic Green

Ant

I managed to get 18 x 10 minute subs of M27 in Ha a few weeks ago.

The other night I grabbed 1 x 2min, 1 x 10min and 13x5 min of M27 in OIII.

It's really not enough in OIII but it's all I could get before the cluds rolled in.

Managed to trip over the leads from the scope to the laptop, couldn't get the scope properly collimated and focusing was an absolute sod! But I got it the best I could and was stunned at how faint the OIII was compared to the Ha.

Anyway. Big thanks to Steve (paxo) and SteveL for answers to my many questions.

I used the Ha image for the Red Channel and the OIII for the Blue Channel. Then made a synthetic green channel.

Guess I really need to get a SII or Hb - not sure which.

Here is the result, not sure if the colours are right, but it's the first one I've ever done - so a massive learning curve.

As usual, ALL comments welcome. But I know that the collimation and focus are out slightly.

Nice image Ant, lots of detail in there. The colour is more a result of the ratio of the OIII to the Ha as you have already pointed out. I doubt M27 is going anywhere in the immediate future so you can still add to it.

Sending a PM regarding a Hb filter.

Steve..

Archived