NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and FIVE Moons!

Macavity

Jupiter and FIVE Moons on the night of 5/6. Wish I'd sketched it now. But, to me, it was a notable first. I see that, checking with software, it may well be that STAR 45 CAP (HIP 107302 m4.96 A7), lined up pretty much exactly with the familiar FOUR satellites? No lasting fame sadly... :)

Not perfect seeing, but the MAK127 was beginning to bring out colours (if not detail) I had not seen before. :)

Chris, i saw the same thing at 10:45 local on the 4th. :) 45 CAP was a teeny bit below the others, though. I bet it looked really weird to see it lined up with the moons. :)

What i saw was (l-r): Callisto, 45 CAP, Europa, Ganymede, Jupiter, and Io.

Hi All,

I've just been talking about a fifth moon on another couple of threads thought I saw the same thing. It was explained to me by another SGL member that what I saw was Io just appearing round the disc of Jupiter and the star '45 Capricorni' out on the far right (through my reflector) was in fact the fifth moon!! Still was a great view though!! :)

Cheers

Hi Tathila,

I know exactly what you mean, what a great metaphor. I keep seeing it again an again in my head if you know what I mean!! That an a lovely meteor in my field of view when I was looking at the yellow star Mirach in I think Pegusus last night. :)

Archived