NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 450D from DSLRAstromod

Rossco72

This review will in fact be a bit of a work in progress. Unfortunately the summer skies have been unbelievibly cloudy and as a new imager I think I need time and sessions to get to grips with all of the fundamentals; focus, framing, tracking, guiding, exposures, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, as a fairly frequent DSLR user before getting into astronomy, I decided that my first footsteps into imaging would be by means of a DSLR rather than an dedicated, and expensive, CCD camera. Not to mention that as I don't have a garden and need to travel 30 minutes to get to my set up location carting a PC around to deal with camera and guiding was just too much to contemplate at the moment.

So, my first tentative steps were taken using my trusty Canon 5D. Whilst this was ok and some of the images with 15-20 second exposures were fine, the in built Canon filter was evident in the reduced red levels being achieved. A little research on line identified the process of removing the canon filter and freeing up the CMOS to a whole new range of colours. At this point I was worried, did I really want to tamper with my very good, and pretty expensive 5D?

The answer was no, I decided to buy a dedicated Astro DSLR. I looked on this forum for suppliers or places where I could purchase such an item and whilst I'm sure buried in the archives somewhere there probably is such information, I couldn't just lay my hands on it. My web searching eventually led me to DSLRAstromod. A site offering to either modify your own camera for a fee or to supply a range of brand new cameras pre-moddified in a variety of ways. You can have the Canon Filter removed completely and nothing else, you can have a replacement glass filter to preserve the auto-focus fitted or you can have a clip-filter supplied.

I decided to purchase a Canon 450D with the canon filter removed. As this was to be a dedicated astro camera I didn't bother with the auto-focus. I made my selection from the website and purchased with Paypal. Kevin, who operates DSLRAstromod, called me to confirm my exact requirements and to arrange a suitable delivery date (a couple of days turnaround was better than I expected).

A couple of days later the camera duly arrived. It had all of the usual accessories and a memory card to get started with. All I needed were clear skies:rolleyes:

A few clear hours here and there has been all that I have had recently and time spent imaging has been limited, hence the need to make this review a work in progress. Once I have some images to show off I can get into the technicalities of the camera itself, for the moment however I can only compare it to my Canon 5D.

The 450D is smaller and lighter than the 5D but from memory not much bigger than the 300D I had several years ago. The main functions are pretty standard, obviously for Astro imaging the Live View is a revelation for attaining a quick focus. There are however a whole host of settings which can be altered, some with perhaps unexpected results and may take new users by surprise (Including yours truley!!)

For starters, you can set the colour space to sRGB or Adobe 1998, a godsend for all those avid PS processors. You can also turn on or off Noise reduction and High ISO noise reduction. Turning these on effectively subtracts a dark frame for every light frame you take. In principle this sounds fine, but bear in mind that a 5 minute exposure is immediately followed by a 5 minute dark. Effectively halfing your imaging time! I would recommend turning both of these off and just take some darks and flats at the end of the session.

Next, the Live view function. This is great for getting a sharp focus in no time at all, especially when used in conjunction with a Bahtinov mask. However, don't repeat my mistakes from early on and leave the live view on whilst you image. This leads to unbearable gradients and "glow" to your images. Turn on the live liew and set the LCD brightness to max whilst you focus and then turn off the live view and turn the lcd brightness to min when you start to image. This preserves battery life and results in the minimum of noise. Another point to note is that live view can be set with a number of typical exposures, I have found the shortest ones to be the most useful (4 seconds I think).

During these initial set-ups and encountering some of the issues above I was back in contact with Kevin at DSLRAstromod and I can only say he was very helpful, always trying to help me get going and to give me answers to my questions. This is the kiind of after service I think should be commonplace but all to often is not. So thanks Kevin:headbang:

As for the imaging, well, if the gods allow a few clear nights I'll post some images and give you some of my thoughts. Even from the less than perfect hours I've had between clouds and moonlight, I can see that the noise seems pretty low and with the filter removed red capture is much more obvious. I should note that I have been using a Baader IR/UV cut filter on my T-Adapter in order to prevent IR from overloading the red channel, but I may experiment with this further! :)

Anyway, If anyone out there is considering a DSLR for Astro use then so far I have to say the 450D looks a winner and if you are looking for somewhere to get one then DSLRAstromod is great in my book.

More on the imaging to follow:

Great write up Ross.

As a recent user of the 450d it has given me a great start on my imaging career as well. For the price these cameras are really a no brainer to be honest. The size of the chip off sets the hassle of getting 'decent' images with them in my humble opinion.

I'm sure with good skies you will be knocking out good images in no time.

Just as a taster, I've included 2 of my very first images taken with the camera over January and February this year. As the saying goes, 'if I can do it, anyone can'.....:)

PS, still interested in my focuser?, open to offers...:)

Regards, Neil.

post-15843-133877390312_thumb.jpg

post-15843-133877390318_thumb.jpg

I took this Wednesday night.

1 light frame only of 150 seconds, no darks, no bias or flats. Eased slightly in CS3.

I had a window of about 10 minutes, so I had to get what I could....:)

Again not very good, but it sure is good fun trying...:)

Regards, Neil.

post-15843-133877390324_thumb.jpg

Nicely written "review" Stuart...

The filte rremoved camera is also very good for IR photography.. I have a filer removed 350D and a Filter replaced 1000D and hopefully they will be enough to keep me goign for quite a while...

The Hutech IDAS P2 works a treat with the filter removed camera as it has UV and IR cut so you dont need an additional filter toi take care of that.. the other oprion is the CLS-CCD which would be another single filter solution...

Hopefully you'll get some decent clear skies and this time of year I'd be heading straight to the Cygnus nebs to make the most of the Ha Hoovering capabilitiy of the camera.. although Luna is a PITA for the next few days...

Peter...

Thanks Peter, ok not much of a review yet, but I did say this was just part 1..... lol

I really just wanted to kick things off and let folks know that there is a place to get astro modded gear at reasonable prices and with great service.

The "review" will hopefully expand more in part 2...

Neil,

You know i'd love to take your focuser but just don't have the funds right now. But as for the 450D, yes I think it's a winner. Is yours moddified or standard?

Regards

Stuart

Its standard but I have just bought one of these to help cut down on my light pollution here in the midlands,

Astronomik CLS Light Pollution EOS Clip FilterTelescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

Regards, Neil.

The 450D is indeed very capable, the live view with bahtinov mask made focussing dead easy.

Im glad your experience with the modder was positive. Always a risky business. I modded my own, but it is tricky. With all of the modders you hear horror stories at the various star parties etc.

Just to level the playing field a little, there are of course alternatives for getting your camera modded, as mentioned in this thread.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/80108-dslr-astromod.html#post1221216

I use a CLS filter with my modded DSLR, it works a treat. Looking forward to your pictures!!

Cheers

TJ

TJ

Of course you are right, there are others performing this service and I have no doubt there are several other reputable options. I am merely providing my own point of view. And several months ago when I was looking into this whole are I found it quite difficult not only to find a service, but one with a recommendation.

If anyone has an alternative point of view, they are of course welcomed to post it and keep us all informed.

I modded my own, but it is tricky.

I use a CLS filter with my modded DSLR, it works a treat. Looking forward to your pictures!!

Cheers

TJ

Same here I modded my own, I found the Filter Exchange to be the most trickiest section of all & today my CLS filter has turned up :)

Archived