Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First shot of Jupiter and 4 moons!

doat1

Tonight the moon was shinning extremely bright if the street lights were out you would still be able to see. I looked at Stardate and found that Jupiter would be a brilliant star south west of the moon so i took out my Bushnell 4" telescope and gazed at the moon for awhile and saw a lot more craters than usual. I decided to check out Jupiter and see if i could get any detail, it took awhile to get the telescope lined up just right and i switched from my overall eyepiece to a more zoomed in and low and behold Jupiter and what i think are 4 moons. It looked like a small star then a big bright circle and 3 more small stars in a perfect line and with the most zoomed in eyepiece i have i could make out the colored bands. My brother and I gazed until we could not endure the mosquitoe bites any longer but it was well worth it. I never thought i would be able to make out Jupiter with my telescope. I plan on buying a .95" to 1.25" diagonal so i could use the 1.25" eyepieces i bought.

Try drawing it next time you are out, you will see more detail.

Here is a drawing I did with my 4" refractor a couple of weeks ago.

sweet drawing, i don't think i can see enough detail to draw i faintly saw the bands mainly because i could see different color lines going across.

Tonight the moon was shinning extremely bright if the street lights were out you would still be able to see. I looked at Stardate and found that Jupiter would be a brilliant star south west of the moon so i took out my Bushnell 4" telescope and gazed at the moon for awhile and saw a lot more craters than usual. I decided to check out Jupiter and see if i could get any detail, it took awhile to get the telescope lined up just right and i switched from my overall eyepiece to a more zoomed in and low and behold Jupiter and what i think are 4 moons. It looked like a small star then a big bright circle and 3 more small stars in a perfect line and with the most zoomed in eyepiece i have i could make out the colored bands. My brother and I gazed until we could not endure the mosquitoe bites any longer but it was well worth it. I never thought i would be able to make out Jupiter with my telescope. I plan on buying a .95" to 1.25" diagonal so i could use the 1.25" eyepieces i bought.

hi i share your excitement after a long look at jupiter and 4 moons same night

brian

Thank you all, i was going to try again tonight but freaking CLOUDS!!!! this time the brilliant star Jupiter was on the right side of the moon. The funny thing is i saw jupiter and the moons with a dusty mirror. One day i will clean it.

Thank you all, i was going to try again tonight but freaking CLOUDS!!!! this time the brilliant star Jupiter was on the right side of the moon. The funny thing is i saw jupiter and the moons with a dusty mirror. One day i will clean it.

Well, be careful how you do that. Whatever you do, don't rub it with a cloth or anything like that. The coating on the surface is quite thin, and it will finish up with myriads of tiny scratches if you run anything over it's surface. Especially if it already has dust on it.

Just let it soak in some tepid water for a while, then rinse it of under a shower head or something. If it is still not clean, repeat the process. If you can get hold of some de ionised water, sluice it with that for the final rinse. Stand it on it's edge to dry on it's own, don't use a towel.If any globules of water have not run off it, pick them off with the corner of a tissue.

Ron.:)

Well, be careful how you do that. Whatever you do, don't rub it with a cloth or anything like that. The coating on the surface is quite thin, and it will finish up with myriads of tiny scratches if you run anything over it's surface. Especially if it already has dust on it.

Just let it soak in some tepid water for a while, then rinse it of under a shower head or something. If it is still not clean, repeat the process. If you can get hold of some de ionised water, sluice it with that for the final rinse. Stand it on it's edge to dry on it's own, don't use a towel.If any globules of water have not run off it, pick them off with the corner of a tissue.

Ron.:)

What do i use to clean it? i have seen a video where someone uses dish washing soap and i have use that soap to clean my xbox 360 games and works perfectly.

I saw Jupiter again and got some more detail since the moon was hidden and less humidity. I could make out more bands and see orange and a teal like color. On the far right of Jupiter there was a twinkling orange star but when i tried to look at it i couldn't tell what planet it was but i would be able to see Mars in a couple of days so i suppose it showed up early.

Archived