Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SCT Focus problem

Hello everyone,

My uncle has the meade 8" LX90 SCT we seem to have a problem focusing as in it takes at least 4 turns of the focus knob before it engages the mirror, can anyone tell me if this is normal as this is the first SCT i have played with.

many thanks for reading all............

marc

Something's not right!

Are the four turns from focussing clockwise to the focussing anti-clockwise, or re-focussing in the same direction????

The focus mechanism is pretty basic... the knob turns a threaded screw which has a notch at the end which in turn just sits into a slot on the mirror support.

Worst case - remove the knob and see if there's any play in the screw; the small plate below the knob on the rear cell can be removed with the three small screws ( make sure the OTA is horizontal!) and tilting the screw slightly will dis-engage it from the mirror support - have a look and see if the thrust bearings and or the screw are worn or damaged.

Hopefully just removing the knob, checking and refitting will do the trick.

Actually, the knob *doesn't* turn the threaded screw which has a notch at the end which in turn just sits into a slot on the mirror support... if it did then it wouldn't work. The knob is threaded internally and as you turn it the screw inside moves up and down the thread. The only other place where play can encroach is where the screw end fits into the mirror... do you have mirror flop (as in, point the tube up, wait a bit, then point it down... if you hear a light thunk then it is the mirror moving when it shouldn't - flop)?

Arthur

Point the OTA up.

*Tighten* the focus, i.e.turn it clockwise looking at it. This will put the mirror at the bottom of it's movement.

Loosen the focus knob with the two grubscrews.

Again, rotate the knob clockwise until it sits snug against the bearing.

Re-tighten the grubscrews.

Voila.

If it is not now sorted, then you have an issue with the hook on the end or the bearing washers are missing.

Arthur

Archived