Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just a pair of binoculars

Hi there.

After reading some of the posts and help on here, I have come to the decision that my best bet for a newbie is just a simple set of decent bins!!!!

Could anyone recommend a set or at least how powerful a set I need to get some enjoyment out of viewing the sky through them??

Hi again

10x50 binos seem to be the usual entry level for serious beginners. If you haven't already done so it is worth a look at the 'Observing with Binoculars' thread to give an idea of what you can actually see. There are also a few practical books devoted to binocular viewing. It is a good idea to also factor in a tripod which makes viewing so much easier.

I used Strathspey 15x70 bins for a number of years until I dropped them into a muddy puddle at Kielder.

To really enjoy your binoculars you need a mount. This way you can refer to your notes and star charts without losing your position in the sky - as well as saving your arms from tiring.

Mark

You probably already know somebody with a pair if you don't have a set laying around unused and dusty in a cupboard somewhere yourself... try to borrow them and take it from there, that way you'll get first hand knowledge then of magnification/filed of view, aperture/brightness and weight/how long can you keep them up... and all for free!

Arthur

Archived