Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter showing GRS with Europa,Io,Ganymede and Callisto

Dr Dixon

This is my first Jupiter with the C-ED80, x2 Barlow, Toucam II. It also happens to have been the first time I have ever seen Jupiter visually too! so the whole evening was really something

Taken on Friday 24th around 23:00 BST, I took one exposure to get the moons and then another exposure to do the planet disk. GRS and banding came up very nicely clearly visible.

Captured using wxastro capture, moons and disk processed separately in registax and then merged and tidyed up in PSP X2. I sorted out the orientation vs. Winstars2 display

Very happy with the results even the wife was impressed..ish (and thats saying something!), oh for a nice C11 :)

Anyway hope you like it

Ian

post-16427-13387738826_thumb.jpg

Hello Ian,

That's a wonderful image you've captured of Jupiter - clear and sharp and I also like the annotation (although, I don't think you need to point out which planet it is :)).

Great effort for a 'first time' and congratulations on both your first observation and image capture of Jupiter. Can't wait to see the results when you become an 'old hand' at imaging the planets.

Nice job - really great those C80's :). One thing though... it looks like the camera has rotated between shots. The moons should be on the same axis as the equatorial bands on Jupiter. Perhaps a bit of judicious rotation before stitching them together would help :)

Geoff, I used Winstars 2 as a reference when putting the merged images together to check the orientation of the bands vs the moons it shows the orientation as in the first image below.

So i dug about and found the Jupiter's Moons# site which shows the moons lined up with the bands second image.

bit annoying as orientation was prob. right in the originals and i didnt have to rotate things to match winstars anyway a simple fix when i get 5 mins

Ian

post-16427-133877388312_thumb.jpg

post-16427-133877388314_thumb.jpg

Archived