Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M13 new attempt

adamsp123

M13 using new toys and techniques but I am wondering for this subject would shorter exposures have been in order?

Details

Details - 11 x 4 mins subs Canon 1000D + MPCC + LP filter - iso 1600. No darks or flats, DSS and Paintshop pro X process

GSO 200mm F4 "astrograph" Newtonian - new toy

On Vixen sphinx mount not polar aligned, guider - QHY5 + finderscope and PHD software.

post-15319-133877387655_thumb.jpg

M13 is not as easy to image as some people would have you think, unfortunately it is a very popular first time DSO for imagers, who then get into difficulties with the processing.

There is a fine line to draw with globs on preserving the outer detail and burning out the core. Personally I haven't used over 3 mins on M13, keeps detail in the core and a lot of outer detail. If you are really keen and like your processing, take 4 or 5 min subs and also 2 or 3 min subs and mask the core of the longer exposures with the shorter ones, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Anyway, your picture is an excellent one, the core is right on the borderline of burning out, you might be able to bring it back using curves in PS if you want to try. I like it though, well done.

Thanks for the comments they are very useful be they just plain positive or positive critiques, I am being very lazy with post processing at the moment, I do a few tweaks in DSS saving the tiff file each time if it looks good.

I am using paintshop pro the free version X and I am only making a few adjustments under "smart photo fix" virtually nothing else.

But now I can autoguide my next major step will have to be improving the processing.

Archived