Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2nd night in a row....

Sam

....and awesome weather, for a change, and very clear skies. Like Doc I had a great evening of observing the big Dob. I set up the imaging rig to get some shots of NGC7023 and with the 16" Lightbridge) I had a really good look at the Ring Nebula (M57) and cranked up the magnification with the smallest eyepiece. With averted version I got glimpses of the central star which was quite a surprise. I revisited M27 and had a good look with the different eyepieces, as always a very impressive sight - the main hourglass shape really stands out but there's not much in the lobes.

As I was imaging NGC7023 I thought it would be worth trying to see what was visible. The central star looked like it was surrounded by a blurry gas - quite blue looking. I little bit of detail could be seen in the shape of the cloud close in by the star but not much else. I then went back to the Double Double in Lyra to check the scope was working as well as the night before. Both pairs were easily split and with the smaller eyepieces the gaps between them seemed quite large.

Next stop was NGC7331, this was a galaxy I imaged nearly a year ago so I was trying to see if I can remember where it is. Found it fairly easily and it's certainly a bright one. I could not see any of the other galaxies around it though. NGC7331 appears like a mini M31 (Andromeda Galaxy). I then did some star field browsing in the Milky Way in the region of Cynus. There I spotted the comet C/2006 W3 Christensen (which I thought was a galaxy). This was quite bright - but very small with a traditional comet shape.

Jupiter was the final stop for the evening as it was starting to appear between two trees in the garden. It's ceratinly big and the detail on the planet was very clear - lots and lots of banding visible - orange and yellowy white. Four moons were also visible two on each side. Jupiter is a great sight!:)

Sam

Lovely report Sam, these big dobs really do show alot of stuff. Congratulations on spotting the central star in M57. I've also seen it but only in times of good seeing and with averted vision.

I don't think I've ever seen NGC 7331 so will have a look at this next time.

Doc,

NGC 7331 is quite bright and not too far from it is Stephen's Quintet which I haven't seen yet - but managed to image it roughly. This is how close they are, I reckon it's worth having a try:

Sam

post-14099-133877387722_thumb.jpg

Great report Sam and seeing the central star of M57 must have been brilliant. It's just a grey but barely there doughnut-esque smudge to me, lol!

I'd love to have a go at NGC7331, I wonder if it is doable in my 5" reflector?

Amanda, I pretty sure you'd have no problems in the 5" with NGC7331. My 8" picks it up fine as well, the core is quite bright and it's fairly resonable in size.:)

Sam

Archived