NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

All set up, ready to go

Keithp

Evening All,

Well for the first time in a number of days...or is that weeks I'm all set and ready to go, this is going to be my first go at DSOs, Starfields or whatever applears. It's just going dusk, sun is down and no stars out yet...maybe my eyes need to adjust.

As soon as I can see the polar star I'll set the scope up. Got a good general field from E S to W to N. Darkest area is off to the E/SE.

Anyone got a good target for my first attempt?

Running Sky6, so if anyone has a suggestion not visible yet I can work out where to look.

Evening All

Keithp

whop, stars are popping out looks like my eyes have adjusted.

Have a go at M57 in Lyra, nice and bright, try part of the veil nebula in cygnus (NGC 6960) or another first timer favourite M27 in Vulpecula. Most of these should be visible in your E/SE late evening/early morning.

Steve..

I DID IT, I DID IT!!!!! Achieved focus after the first 10/15 minutes of disappointment.... and thanks to a very interesting chat with Cat on MSM...:):D yo dude!

Unless it's blatently obvious....why oh why don't Skywatcher point out that if you take the 1.25" tube off the 2" to 1.25" adapter you have a T thread!, or did I miss that somewhere in the instructions.:iamwithstupid:maybe.

After trying all the connectors I've got, including the Hyperion 17mm, with and without barlow I could not achieve focus, I could if I put the camera body up to the focuser though.

So back inside and started looking at what I'd got trying to see if I could cobble anything together to hold the camera onto the focuser when I picked up the 2" to 1.25" adapter and realised the 1.25" tube would unscrew it wasn't a complete solid unit. After unscrewing the tube I could see it was a T thread....put the T thread adapter onto the camera, screwed the base unit 2" bit on to the T thread adapter and off to the scope, hey presto....

Just got to work out now what to do with about a dozen or so like this. Plus about half a dozen centred around the lower part of Orions belt. All 30 secs at 800 iso in RAW.

Might put part of this in tips and tricks etc. For anyone else having problems achieving focus with a dslr and reflector.

post-15528-133877387583_thumb.jpg

Archived