Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Primary Mirror and DSLR Prime Focus

Keithp

Hello all, just doing some tests over the weekend with the new kit, it all hooks up okay but looks like I've got the primary focus problem.

Skywatcher 250px + Canon eos 500d.

I found that removing the 2" to 1.25" adapter and putting the camera up to the focuser with it fully wound in I could achieve focus on some trees about 250/300 yards away. I've read elsewhere on this forum it's possible to move the primary mirror up the tube. Looking at the amount of travel I need, at the focuser end of things, it appears to be about 6.5mm (1/4"). Does this correspond to the amount I need to jack the primary up on it's adjusters or is it a case of trial and error?

Ultimate solution is to get the low profile focuser...but I did'nt want any more rain/clouds down here in Somerset;)

Regards

Keithp

Don't work, one of the adjusters sprung off the thread before I could get the mirror far enough up the tube. Temporary solution after I got the adjuster back on... I connected the camera to the t peice adapter and fitted this to the 2" eyepeice holder, I found I could get focus on the trees about 250/300 yards away.. of course I don't know how this translates to looking at stars, the moon etc.

Is it possible to remove the primary mirror cell and replace the threaded rod with longer peices of thread? I know the local hardware store sells threaded bar. Not yet taken the primary mirror cell apart.

Another posibility is this

Adaptors - Max DSLR Camera Adaptor

If I used this straight on to the focuser where the normal 2" eyepeice holder goes it would get me at least 2" closer than what I can achieve now, allowing me a fuller range in the focuser.

Any advice greatly received.

Regards

All

Keithp

Archived