Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galileoscope

Beulah

I am surprised that no one here has yet raised a thread about the Galileoscope, it was featured in a small article in last month's Sky @ Night magazine....

https://www.galileoscope.org/gs/

I have ordered some for my kids for three reasons; freedom in exploring the sky for themselves (lunar and planetary to a certain degree, as the scope does have it's limitations), they will learn how a refractor is assembled (they will also see me making my 12" reflector one day too!! :)) and I am sick of them hogging my Dob!! :)

Has anyone here ordered a Galileoscope and recieved it yet? :headbang:

the construction aspect should prove educational and im sure the quality will be far better than the usual toy scopes that are sold for similar or higher amounts

i'll be interested in your views on the viewing it offers. i was tempted to get one for my son to keep at his mother's but in the end went for a skywatcher mercury 705/AZ3 combo as the price difference fell quite a bit by the time you factored in a decentish tripod and also got one myself (yes i know i have my mercury on a £12 argos tripod as its AZ3 is used elsewhere, but it lives in the car boot and is only for spur of moment viewing so i can live with the wobble and lack of slomo controls )

Think that the Galileo scope was a topic about 2-3 months back.

As I recall (every chance of being wrong) it wasn't rated that highly.

Have to say I have absolutely no idea what the thing is, I assume a "copy" of Galileo's scope that you construct. However if I recall Galileo's scope was pretty poor. Basically the objective wasn't great and it used a negative lens as the eyepiece. So with the expectations of today I have a suspicion that the "Galileo scope" will not be that close to the original, but probably better.

Archived