Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help: why are my stars elongated at the edges of the frame...

OK, new to DSLR photography, and some images I took last night are really puzzling me as to what is happening.

Setup:

• CG-5GT, levelled, aligned with polaris (including making sure the polar scope is aligned)
  • CG-5 GT two star aligned, with 4 extra stars - a total of 6 stars being used to compute alignment
  • Scope: C-80ED attached to a skywatcher medium dovetail and 90mm rings (tight)
  • Scope reasonably well balanced
  • Camera - Canon 450D attached via max DSLR and revelation 50mm extension tube
  • Focused by live-view
  • ISO 400 at 30 second subs

My problem (shown by the attachments) is that the stars at the edge of the image look like they are expanding outwards from the centre point - as if I were starting to enter warp drive on the EWnterprise. I can't understand what is happening here - I was on solid ground so no chance of it being moved relative to the stars by a warp drive...

Anyone any ideas - the sub as a single image followed by the 4 full sized corners (they should be clockwise from the top left if the ordering has been preserved)

Thanks in advance

Andy

post-16274-13387738544_thumb.jpg

post-16274-133877385441_thumb.jpg

post-16274-133877385443_thumb.jpg

post-16274-133877385444_thumb.jpg

post-16274-133877385445_thumb.jpg

This is due to the ED80 not producing a flat field, it can be resolved (somewhat) by using a field flattner/reducer - The William Optics FFIII has quite a good reputation, I use the FFII model and it also works pretty well. The other option is to just crop the frame a little!

Archived