NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Poor Jupiter

Herakles

Hi Herakles - a bit over-exposed but the moons are very nicely strung out on one side of Jupiter in your image.....is a C80 an 80mm refractor?:)

What type of imaging camera were you using....? Trying to get those moons as nice pinpoint pricks of light (when at smaller scales) as well as the planet disk detail - however faint - are just a couple of focussing tricks to this addictive activity.

If you're using a webcam to grab an avi to process, try dropping the gain untill you can discern any banding on the planet without the planet getting too dim - what you see onscreen at any one moment is a good indicator of what you'll end up with (or rather it'll be the "foundations" of what the composite/stacked image that eventuates from processing looks like!)

Lower framerates (if the "seeing" conditions are good) usually are best for webcams etc and check that the shutter speed is analogous to framerate.....of course if you used a dslr or other type of camera through an eyepiece, exposure and iso are issues to play with!

But a good start, soon you'll be really flying.....or, like me, really broke!!!;):)B):icon_salut:

Well over exposed . Taken with the DSLR with 2x barlow ( therein the problem metinks ! ) Last night was actually about trying to capture the ISS transit of ol' Jupiter, shot posted in Widefield/Special events. Whilst we were waiting I tried the above shot.

I definately need to sort out a CCD camera for Lunar/Planetry work.

I'm thinking DMK for that.

Archived