Lakeside Astro Motorfocus system

Anyone tried one of these? They look very interesting and certainly set a low price point for a stepper motor focusing system. Ian King is selling then. It works in the same way as the Robofocus system and clamps onto the existing focuser shaft. PC controller and manual hand set is included. Uses the excellent focusmax software. Doesn't have temperature compensation yet but they are working on it apparently.

I am hoping they can sort out a braket so I can use it with my FSQ.

Wondered if anyone had any experience of using one. I am a complete convert to motorised focusing since having one fitted to my LX200.

I'm with you Martin, I have motorised focus on the LX200 and have also adapted a JMI unit for use with AO scopes. The only drawback with using FocusMax of course is its incompatibility with Vista.

These look like excellent units, and an excellent pricing point compared to other units (JMI was £130 for the focus and £140 for the computer controller). Interested to see how these perform.

Steve..

The only drawback with using FocusMax of course is its incompatibility with Vista.

I guess that says more about vista than Focusmax. I have a new laptop with Vista installed and it's just a pain in the neck. I'm planning on taking it off and installing XP

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just ordered one of these Lakeside focusers for my WO Megrez 72. A friend of mine has one and he's very happy with it. Mine should arrive next week, will report back as soon as I tested it.

Archived