Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tak FS 102 EPs & Barlow's/Power mates????

Hi all, its a long one:D I managed to get the Tak 102 FS from a mate of a mate (thanks) and I also managed to get a 2" Willaims diagonal at the same time which has an adapter to take 1.25" as well, oh this 2" stuff is making my pulse run high lol. From my old scope I have the Celestron eye piece kit all 1.25 plossi. When I was shown the televue and meade items (he had both 2" and 1.25") it was just mind blowing (in both quality and COST). Now chicken and egg comes to mind here due to the fact that I have not even mounted the scope yet so have not tried any EPS etc and MartinB gave me some advice on EPs etc on my last thread (cheers everyone for that). BUT I'M a novice when it comes to EPS and really optics in general, common sense would say the more you pay the better the view but its soooooooo easy to go over the top and my wife is not happy already. In a nut shell what EPS and barlow powermate would be best for this scope??? I just view general items like everyone else but I do like wide views and have never gone below 15mm for long, now this maybe the poor quality of the EPS I have??????? I dont mind saving up again but what I dont want to do is compromise and then later on need to buy MORE. :icon_salut:

I use a Televue 8-24mm zoom in my Tak with a x2 Celestron Ultima barlow, that gives a continous power range from x34 to x204. This is a very sharp eyepiece and just as good as the fixed length TV Plossls and Orthoscopics I have.

In addition I use a 7 and 6mm Orthoscopic eyepiece for x233 (planets and moon) and x272 for the moon on good nights.

HTH

For planetary & lunar work it is hard to beat the Baader Genuine Orthos which are very reasonably priced. The only downside is an apparent field of view which is narrow by current standards, though we used to think of 40 degrees as wide! For a wider field at a reasonable price, personally I like the Meade Series 5000 Super Plossls (60 degrees) though I have no experience of these in a Tak. Wider than that, the EPs I've tried have all been compromised in some way (mushy stars towards the edge of the field and/or serious distortion) and/or are extortionately priced.

I have owned a Tele Vue Nagler 3-6mm zoom and it is a superb eyepiece but, as stated, far from cheap (£270 new). It does of course cover a number of focal lengths so perhaps that compensates for the high purchase cost.

Your TAK is F/8 I think so you really don't need mega-pricey eyepieces - The Baader Hyperions and / or the Baader Ortho's should work really well with it.

Even standard plossls will give you very nice views through that scope !.

John

Never thought about the Hyperions, I've not found one bad review so their looking like a good option at this point, would they alos work well in SC6?????

I assume that SC6 is a schmidt-cassegrain 6" - yes they would work well in one of those as well.

John

Hi Ombos, I use a 5x powermate with the FS102 when imaging Jupiter or the Moon with a web cam. This scope can handle high magnification better than SCTs and still give nice views.

Lester, which EPS do you use and why and would you use another type if you got the chance, sorry for so many questions but if you've got a TAK i would love to know what you use. Some good advice all round and I thank everyone for it. It still looks like the Hyperions at this point but like I've said I would really hate to buy them and later find I wished I'd got some TAKS LEs or even a couple of Naglers, oh on that point which sizes would be best for general viewing???? I was thinking of maybe a 24, 18 or 17 and a 12 or 10mm with a power mate, any comments please, all advice is gratefully received here.

Hi, I have had my eyepieces for many years and have not got to mix with others to compare which eyepieces are the best. The joys of living in an isolated area in Australia, I get dark skies, but don't get to see what others use.

I use 25, 15 and 5mm Parkes gold eyepieces. I use the 5x powermate with my DFK camera.

If you can get to a star party and use many eyepieces through your scope, or someone elses scope of the same type; that would be the best way to choose what you like. Some like long eye relief, some like wide angle of view.

All the best.

NICE VIEWS FROM DOWN THERE MATE, thanks I'm trying to do a deal on some WO Uwans which seem to for fill everything, expensive ( to me yes) but all the reviews are great and they should keep their value should I ever wish to sell them.

Archived