Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro-Fix Locator

I am thinking of getting an Astro-Fix locator for use with a Skywatcher Dobsonian to make locating deep sky objects easier and save some time (once I had to spend a couple of hours trying to locate a galaxy using my previous telescope). Do you think this will be a worthwhile investment? If its going to allow me to get the object I'm looking for in the finderscope that's enough for me.

I couldn't see what the difference was between the NMS and RMS?

btw, there are some threads around about making your own circles for az (i think one is a sticky in the beginners section). For alt you can buy a wixey inclinometer for about £25.

if you get the atro-fix, let us know how you get on.

I couldn't see what the difference was between the NMS and RMS?

As far as I know in NMS all sensors are in box and unlike RMS its not affected by ferrous materials.

btw, there are some threads around about making your own circles for az (i think one is a sticky in the beginners section). For alt you can buy a wixey inclinometer for about £25.

I did come across the thread describing using a wixey along with a home made azimuth setting circle but I'm not sure if that will be as accurate. Also I'm not sure if that's going to be practical in the dark and with a 12" dob.

Home made degree circles can be very pretty accurate. I would say mine gets you within half a degree. Then the wixey should be a tenth of a degree in theory.

These are better then the astro-fix.

Doc,

This is the thread I found http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/80995-diy-dob-setting-circles.html#post1229286 (mine is a Skywatcher as well). If I were to make some myself I would prefer to go for the easiest option and this seems like it. I Does yours use the same principle?

Mines here.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/79817-my-dob-degree-circle-modification.html

why would one be more accurate than the other? The key is that you make your scale accurately whether it's a linear strip or a circle. Having said that, I did my linear strip by hand and it's pretty hard to get it exactly right - my 10 degree markings were every 4.54cm (or something like that) so there's obviously going to be a small error in it. Somewhere there's a thread with a link to a programme which will generate circles and strips which should be more accurate.

I suspect that the best you will get with any system like this is within about 1 degree which will probably be good enough.

Archived