Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alternative to Philips SPC900NC

astromole

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just found out the Orion camera uses the Micron MT9M131 sensor, which is the same sensor as used in the Imaging source DFK 41AUC03.

Mircon blurb.."Developed by a world-renowned group of imaging experts, the MT9M131 provides superior low-light performance, achieving CCD-quality sensitivity levels. Equipped with Micron’s progressive readout, low- noise DigitalClarity technology, the high-performance MT9M131 delivers brilliant color images even under some of the poorest lighting conditions."

Does 640x480 at 30fps

Got to be worth a punt at £80?

I'd really want to try that Orion Starshoot camera before committing to buy it I think. The pixel size is quite small for planetary imaging and I think you'd need a large aperture scope to get the best out of it.

James

I've just found out the Orion camera uses the Micron MT9M131 sensor, which is the same sensor as used in the Imaging source DFK 41AUC03.

I thought all the DFKs were CCD, and the blurb says the Starshoot is CMOS. It looks the wrong size compared with the 41 series cameras, too.

James

They also do a range of CMOS sensor cameras. See the full list here: http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/topics/cmos-cameras/

These all use Micron CMOS sensors rather than Sony CCD sensors. These Imaging Source cameras aren't sold with 1.25" adapters and don't seem to be aimed at Astrophotography use. However it's worth noting that some newer dedicated astro cameras, such as the Orion, new Celestron Neximage, Opticstar and point grey have started to use them. Not sure how good they are though?

They also do a range of CMOS sensor cameras. See the full list here: http://www.theimagin...s/cmos-cameras/

These all use Micron CMOS sensors rather than Sony CCD sensors. These Imaging Source cameras aren't sold with 1.25" adapters and don't seem to be aimed at Astrophotography use. However it's worth noting that some newer dedicated astro cameras, such as the Orion, new Celestron Neximage, Opticstar and point grey have started to use them. Not sure how good they are though?

Ahh, I see. Perhaps they're intended for machine vision applications then. Presumably the low light performance can't be bad if the same sensors are being used in lower end astro cameras, but the small pixel size of the Starshoot rings alarm bells with me. It would be interesting to compare how it performs in small aperture (say sub 8") scopes with the likes of the SPC900. Of course it may be fine, but in that case I'd have thought we'd see a few people posting images from it.

James

Archived