NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing the 2009 Total Solar Eclipse

I'm fortunate to be going to China in July and weather permitting will be observing the total solar eclipse on the 22nd. I won't have a scope with me but was debating whether to purchase some Solar Filters - Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 5.0 for use with a pair of 10x50 bins and a 300mm camera lens. I'm also intending to get some eclipse glasses in case they are not provided in China and would appreciate any pointers to a reputable UK supplier.

I am mindful of the following from the Mr. Eclipse site:

Just remember, Lovi said, "Don't try to do too much. Look at the eclipse visually. Don't be so busy operating a camera that you don't see the eclipse. And don't set off for the eclipse so burdened down by baggage and equipment that you are tired and stressed and too nervous to enjoy the event."

Astronomer Isabel Martin Lewis also warned of the dangers of too many things to do: "A noted astronomer who had been on a number of eclipse expeditions once remarked that he had never SEEN a total solar eclipse."

As a result I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how I can make the most of this rare opportunity.

Thanks guys

Col

A week ago I wasn't even thinking about going but now I'm very fortunate to have secured a cheap place on the cruise from Beijing to Iwojima via South Korea and Japan with my Canadian cousins.

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/80871-chasing-shadow.html

What location will you be at? If you're on the cruise or at the airport on the same day we might bump into each other :icon_salut:

Maybe we should both wear 'stargazerslounge' baseball caps and t-shirts (flying the flag :) ) so we can spot each other in a crowd. :cool:

I'm about to get some Baader film for my binos - just waiting until later in the week for Steve (FLO) to settle into his new premises and then I'll be on the phone. I've been looking at a few sites showing how to make bino and 'scope filters with this film. It's pointless (and expensive) spending loads of dosh on glass filters for a one-off event so the Baader film is ideal and alot cheaper. I found one link showing specific plans for a DIY bino filter using card, glue, tape and velcro. I'll post the link when I find it again.

It might be a good idea to take spare Baader solar film with you just in case the filters you make here get punctured, scratched or damaged in transit before the event.

If you want some solar glasses - just make your own from any spare Baader film leftovers as they'll probably be better than anything you can buy. I used to own a pair I bought from Jessops for the 1999 eclipse but never got a chance to use them because of the total cloud cover - these were just some sort of solar film (probably inferior to the modern stuff from Baader) mounted in cardboard spectacle frames which should be an easy DIY job - a sort of 'blue peter' project using 'stickyback' plastic, a bit of cardboard (or even an old spectacle frame) and of course some Baader film :headbang:

As I'm short sighted I plan to put some Baader film over my prescription glasses.

If you really want to buy some then I'm sure there'll be plenty of local vendors in China selling the glasses weeks before the event - it'll be a real 'earner' for them. You could try Jessops but I'd be surprised if they have any in stock. They had plenty in stock in 1999 (and sold plenty too).

You probably know this already but you'll only need the bino filters (and glasses) for the partial phases.

I'll be taking my ageing Fujifilm 6900 zoom camera with me for general trip photos (having difficulty sourcing extra 'smartmedia' format memory cards at the mo') but I'm not going to be tempted to get any fancy lenses or filters or mounts for pictures of any prominences, bailly's beads or a montage of the partial phases or stuff like that. I just want to soak up the atmos. and view it. I'll probably get a couple of snaps of totality but that'll probably be it. I don't want to miss a thing. There'll be plenty of photos to download from the experienced imaging guys and gals later and they'll probably be alot better than anything I could achieve. That quote you've posted is a word from the wise. Travel light and enjoy it :D

I'll be on the banks of the Qiantang River approx one hour out of Hangzhou south of Shanghai. It's supposed to be one of the better sites although still only a 50/50 chance of being cloud free at that time of year.

Hope the clouds stay clear for us both. Just remember to take plenty of sunblock with you and if you're bald like me, wear a hat. The sun will be almost directly overhead in July at these latitudes so it's going be very hot.

Really looking forward to this - I've been buzzing all weekend :icon_salut:

For the last total eclipse in the UK (I think it was 1999... could have been 2000... can't remember) I just sat back and watched. I also viewed the Sun's disk being eaten up slowly using a cereal box... can't remember how I made it but it's a very easy and safe way to project the eclipse. And of course, don't forget to look around once the Sun is completely covered - it was very eerie and surreal. Enjoy :icon_salut:

Amanda

I would support Blackgerby's warning about cheap solar eye glasses. The daughter of a friend went to the eclipse in Africa a few years ago and was given free glasses to view the eclipse by the organisers. Unfortunately they had a fault which she did not realise until hours later. She is now virtually blind in both eyes with no hope of improvement. If you make Baader filters, test them before you leave and put them in a plastic box so that they don't get damaged on the journey out. Hope you have clear skies.

Mark

The more I thought about you eye protection needs you could buy the following from Telescope House at £3.99.

Telescope House Sol-Obs Handheld Solar Viewer

Although I bought the Coronado 10x25 binomites (about £70) which I took to the annular eclipse in Spain (2005) and the total in Turkey (2006) and had no regrets especially when I considered the cost of the trip. Still use them today to check for sunsports. Also available from Telescope House.

Mark

Although I bought the Coronado 10x25 binomites (about £70) which I took to the annular eclipse in Spain (2005) and the total in Turkey (2006) and had no regrets especially when I considered the cost of the trip. Still use them today to check for sunsports. Also available from Telescope House.

Mark

Cheers Mark. I hadn't come across the Coronado binos before - might be worth a look. Have you any experience using the Baader Astro Solar film with ordinary binoculars?

Best

Col

Col

No I have never used Baader filters I have always used quality solar filters either from Orion or Thousand Oaks. I have seen Baader film wrapped around the objective lens of Binos secured by elastic bands. I just worry that one mistake and my astronomical hobby is ruined. The Coronado binos are 100% safe - okay they cost £70 compared to £20 for the Baader film but they last a life time. I bought my Binos in early 2004 and used them today to check on the Sun not a bad investment. They are small and can be carried in the hand luggage.

Whatever you decide watching a total eclipse is a fantastic experience - just hope for clear skies at totality.

Mark

:icon_salut:

Hi.

I was in Africa for the 2002 eclipse and saw it from the Botswana / Zambia border - it was awesome! Although there were lots of the cheap glasses around we decided not to trust them and used something similar to what Amanda described.

The quote above is very true - I felt sorry for all the people who had driven miles into the middle of nowhere with pick-ups full of equipment and were so concerned about it all that the excitement of the moment seemed to be lost for them because of the worry about whether they would get THE photo of the event.

I made some little filters for my binos with the Baader film - they are held in place very securely with velcro - the binos look a bit of a mess but at least I know it's safe!

I hope you both have a fantastic time in China and look forward to reading about your experiences!

Liz

Thanks for the ideas guys. I've decided to keep it simple... and inexpensive. The Baader film gets good reviews and seems to be the most cost effective option so I've ordered some and will have a crack at making filters for my cheapo Bresser bins.

I'll have a camera also and will fire off a few quick shots for posterity; but I want to experience the event, so I think I’ll concentrate on seeing the eclipse.... if the weather plays ball that is :icon_salut:

Col

Archived