Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 - The Dumbbell Nebula

brendant

Not a bad night last night, though transparency was not the best, nights are too short and bright for DSO's so this will be the last one till August. I have attached a 3 Min sub to demonstrate just how light it was last night - it was taken at 2:38 am, and it only got worse as the twilight started to appear so gave up at 3.00am.

Imaged with an unmodded Canon 400D, ED80Pro guided with a QHY5 + 400mm Lens on an EQ5 GOTO mount, 30 x 3 Min subs @ ISO800, flats and darks subtracted.

Pity there is so little daylight, nice if you could combine the darkness of winter with the night temperatures of summer, still a clear sky is good no matter when it comes and you got to make the most of it.

Brendan

post-13788-133877375825_thumb.jpg

post-13788-133877375831_thumb.jpg

post-13788-133877375837_thumb.jpg

that is excellent, it was also very helpful to post one of your subs too. As the final image is so incredibly detailed and clear, it's often difficult for a begineer like myself to imagine that it came from such a faint sub and I've tended to think my subs should look better. But your sub lets me know I'm heading in the right direction, inlcuding the blue sky at night! :icon_salut:

Thanks again folks for the comments.

rikyuu - even I was surprised I managed to extract anything from the subs, the one above is pretty extreme and from the end of the imaging session, the one attached to this post is more representative of the darkest 3 minute subs, this one was taken at 1:20am, they range from this one to the blue one above in gradual increments. This one is more representative of what you should aim to capture.

I have a 2" Skywatcher Light Pollution filter in my imaging train to counteract the light pollution which is normally the big problem.

Brendan

post-13788-133877376684_thumb.jpg

Archived