Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I believe that Scoptronix is a defunct company, at least people were having terrible trouble getting goods from them over the past couple of years.

I think you should see if the company is viable before placing an order.

The type of photography that you can do with a camera that has a fixed lens is called afocal photography. The camera is effectively a replacement for your eye and photographs what your eye sees.

As the Sony H50 has a large lens I'd be surprised if you can take pics without having severe Vignetting but I'm not an expert on these things :cool:

Let's hope someone more knowledgeable than me gives you more answers :) if they don't come here you could always ask again in the imaging/discussion section.

--

Martyn.

My feedback is based on owning SLR cameras where the front lens could be removed and a t mount attached. Then basically using a tube the camera is directly fitted into the 1/25 eyepiece holder on the scope. Firstly, can your whole front lens be removed? if so then I cannot see any problems. The other alternative for smaller digital cameras is to attach it via a rig so that it looks into the eyepiece and photographs through it.

Not sure if this is a great help but i have looked at your model on the net and I cannot work out if the lens is a bayonet fitting, maybe you could advise.

i read somewhere about them before, id not place an order where it uses dollars if i could help it.. would i ever be able to do prime focus with my camera or only afocal? and with afocal is it possible to get dso? if not i wouldnt be too bothered about saving up for a dslr

A bayonet fitting is where you can basically unscrew the front lens, afocal is ok and I have seen some reasonable pictures using this means, but nothing beats being able to fix the camera directly into the scope as basically it then acts as an eyepiece, roughly about 6mm. You also need to be able to open the exposure, many people use the bulb setting so that they can control the camera via a remote control to save shake. HTH.

Scopetronix did close it's doors I'm afraid. I believe it was a messy divorce which caused the problem. The owner is now trading again. If I remember right he is selling True-2" Adapters for Canon in the States. I'll try and find a link. The Scoptronix equipment is excellent. I used it for many years before I went DSLR. I do still dabble with a compact camera Lumix LX3. I use a Baader bracket I bought from Steve at FLO for afocal pics.

If money is tight have a look at the Canon 1000D with Live View.

Glen.

Archived