Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope Upgrade Choice

After taking advice from the forum, I've come up with the following two options for equipment. My requirements are fast setup and tear down (house-patio, patio-house), with an option for photography later. I like the goto system since it maximises my observation time and makes it easier to find dim objects. Each option allows a visual/planatary setup or an astrophotography setup.

Option 1 - CPC800 / cpc800+wedge+wedge adjuster

Option 2 - Nexstar 8se / Nexstar OTA+HEQ5 Pro synscan mount

A lot of people diss the cpc + wedge, but it ticks a lot of my boxes and the wedge comments seem to be mainly directed at stability with larger OTAs. Option 2 gives me a bigger version of my current setup, but a more complicated setup with the equ mount version (with an OTA swap).

Any comments would be welcome, or alternative equipment suggestions.

Have you priced up the 2 options...

Wedges are expensive bits of kit.. If you have to buy new... The Ceelstron HD one is pretty useless without the upgrade kit (more cost again) and I dont know what stocks are like this year but when i wanted one last year then no one could give me a date when they could get one...

Given my time again I would have gone for option 2 you will still have the nextstar mount for grab and go visual use in Alt/AZ and a much more flexible setup for multiple OTA setups in the long run....

And it will look a lot less cumbersome than this.....

11848_large.jpeg

Peter....

For astrophotography chances are you will end up wanting to add a guide scope and camera into the mix which will ideally need to be counterbalance on the CPC (I make a lot of my own "accessories" theres a very heavy solid brass adjustable counter weight under the OTA to counterbalance all that gear "up top" ) so add in guide rail and rings, counterbalance system etc and see how this compares to a dual mount bar to go with the GEM system... your effectively having 2 mounts with the Nexstar+GEM option which gives a bit of flexibility including being able to do something else whilst the main scopes imaging... After a while sitting on a target for a couple of hours grabbing subs can become monotonous - the excitment is processign the data afterwards...

What type of imaging do you want to do? Is the SCT the right tool for the job... Most of the time my SCT was being used as a guidescope as I prefered widefield imaging - I have since added a 3rd OTA so I can simultaneously .... image through both the Megrez and the 8"...

Recently I have started takeng more interest in Lunar and Planetary imaging using a DMK - just starting out so the SCT is now being used for that...

Peter...

Your picture of the cpc plus extras is a bit of an eye-opener! I had a look at a cpc, and was a bit worried how easy it was to actually get it on the wedge by yourself.

I think I've now settled on option 2 with a slight variation:

8se

HEQ5 pro or EQ6 pro

Pillar mount

The pillar mount would enable me to wheel the heavy HEQ5 or EQ6 plus OTA from the garage to the patio and back.

How does that sound? Is it practical? Is the pillar ok? HEQ5 or EQ6?

Skywatcher - Skywatcher Pillar Mount Support for HEQ5 & EQ6 series mounts

I think you've opted for a flexible route. I have a CG5 equatorial and an Nexstar SE mount which is identical to the 8SE. The SE mount is very quick to set up and very portable.

I don't have one, but I was also advised to go for an EQ6 for imaging.

Just got to save my pennies..

My heart said get the cpc800, but my head (aided by excellent advice from the forum) said get the 8se and EQ6. I now have a lightweight 8se grab and go goto scope for visual and planetary photos, and by transfering the OTA to the EQ6, an excellent DSO photo setup with upgrade potential. And my fast setup/down requirement is met by the 8se and the EQ6 on a mobile pillar.

Thanks again for all the great advice. Now off to set up the 8se for first light and maybe some shots of Saturn.

Archived