NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripod again

The Warthog

Last year I built an experimental tripod for my refractor, as the commercial ones don't seem to be tall enough, and are expensive. The design had a few minor imperfections, but I'm ready to have another go at it, if it doesn't rain. I've cut out most of the parts, and have only to go get some hardware and take some measurements. I had saved one of the legs from my previous effort, as the height was right, but someone seems to have thrown it out, so I'll have to do that again.

Anyway, there will be pictures. I'm using pine again, as I can't get 2" lumber in any hardwood at the local Home Depot. It will cost me about $30 for the lumber, but in oak it would cost at least $100, and in maple would cost my left arm and my first born.

I'm making the legs and the attachment to the head. It's not that difficult. I don't think there will be a lot of difference between pine and a hardwood, as pine is a pretty hard softwood. I used pine before and it was as solid as a rock. I would like oak for the looks, but it is twice as expensive as pine, and I can't get 2" oak at the moment. Maple is three times as expensive as pine, and is very hard on the saw.

OK, here are some pics of the progress so far. I am at the stage of putting a finish coat on, although I have to drill the holes for attachment to the mount yet.

The pics are, in order:

1. all the parts cut out, and a mock up of one leg.

2 drill and screw the spacers between the leg stringers. The screw is short enough to be concealed completely inside the leg. I used a wooden plug to cover the screw head.

3. drill two holes about a foot apart for the cap screws that will hold the lower legs, and drill through the lower legs at the same time, using clamps to hold everything tight. I wanted a 60' leg, so the upper and lower legs are both 40" long and overlap by 20". I then moved the lower leg up 2" and down 2" and redrilled the holes to give an adjustment of 2" either way.

4. using the first of the lower legs as a template for drilling the holes in the other legs.

5. I planed all surfaces of the wood, except the mating surfaces to smoothness, and then sanded it very smooth with a random orbital sander and 120 grit. The mating surfaces were the original finished surface of the lumber, but the other edges had passed through my saw, and were not smooth. Note the hearing and breathing protection. That sander is LOUD, and it produces dust so fine it will go straight into your lungs with no bother at all. Also note the ever present bottle of Diet Pepsi.

post-12776-133877375957_thumb.jpg

post-12776-133877375962_thumb.jpg

post-12776-133877375966_thumb.jpg

post-12776-133877375971_thumb.jpg

post-12776-133877375976_thumb.jpg

And finally, the parts in my 'spray booth' to get a first coat of varnish. I plan to put three coats of varnish on, or until it shines, whichever comes first. Then I'll let the varnish harden a couple of days so it won't stick when I put the tripod together.

And finally, the parts in my 'spray booth' for their first coat of varnish. I plan to put on three coats of varnish, or until it glows, whichever comes first. I'll let the varnish harden for two or three days so it won't stick together when I assemble it.

In the next few days, I'll post the finished product.

post-12776-13387737598_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

There were a few delays in finishing the project, but it was a worthwhile wait. This isn't the final version of my tripod, as I've figured out how to make a sliding leg, but for now, this is exactly what I need to work with my refractor.

The first photo shows the general shape of the tripod, the second the furniture-like finish I tried to give it, and the last the detail of the head and the chain that holds everything in place. I decided not to go with an accessory tray on the tripod this time around.

post-12776-133877393582_thumb.jpg

post-12776-133877393588_thumb.jpg

post-12776-133877393594_thumb.jpg

The tripod looks superb WH !.

The "shortness" of stock tripods has been a long term annoyance for me, particularly as I like refractors and I'm 6 foot tall. If I was as good at DIY as you obviously are I would have had a go at making a taller wooden tripod as well, but as I'm not I've cheated and bought a used Tele Vue Gibraltar mount, the main attraction being a 5 foot ash tripod. Your version looks just as good though.

To me, a long focal length refractor on a good mount with a tall wooden tripod looks like a real telescope should :)

John

Thats a nice looking job there a tall tripod with a refractor really helps. I bet youve noticed a difference in rigidity as well.

This takes me back to when I built mine. I used ash which was a bit pricey but well worth the extra. I originally made mine for an EQ3 and now its still in use with an HEQ5.

Philj

Thanks! It is very rigid, but my shoter tripod is also wooden, by Skywatcher, and was a great improvement over an aluminum tripod.

I've decided I am never going to use spray-on varnish again for any job over a foot long. And I will use spar varnish again because the water based polyurethane varnish I started with was pants, and I had to take it off and start again. This is Behr spar varnish.

I hae to find some oak for another project, and I may just get enough to make another tripod as well. I enjoyed this.

Nice work WH, lovely tripod.

The wood itself looks good too - better than the pine we get in the UK. It is depressing to hear that maple costs so much in Canada.

Mike

Especially when it's our national tree! Maple is very hard, and tough on tools, so I would reserve its use for when the job really requires the hardness of maple.

Looks good WH, nicely made and solid. I like the way you covered up the nails with spare bits of wood too :)

Seriously though - how long did the varnish take to "go off" on the end? It is one thing that stops me making wooden stuff - the fact that the varnish seems to take forever to stop having that "tacky" feling.

Arthur

I let the last coat dry for three days, then rubbed it down with 00 steel wool, and put on a coat of paste wax. The last bit of varnish was very slightly tacky when I got to it - more a feeling of being a little less slippery than of actual stickiness.

That's it exactly! "less slippery", that stage in my experience just seems to last for ever. Maybe grabbing the bull and waxing as you have is the only way to take that edge off.

I shall maybe experiment on the little tripod the DS sits on.

Arthur

Archived