comet A3 89x30sec stack

This is very well done if it's your first comet photo as they're not that straightforward to do.

It does however look very different to all the other photos I've seen of this target, shape colour etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

This is very well done if it's your first comet photo as they're not that straightforward to do.

It does however look very different to all the other photos I've seen of this target, shape colour etc.

thanks but, that might be because its rubbish :) i'm stacking it a bit different this morning. looks better i think, will post asap.

As an image it looks fine, but the comet shape doesn't look like all the other images I've seen of it which all look generally the same.

Are you stacking the comet only, then the starfield separately? Then combine. That's how you do it, well that's how I've done my last two.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

As an image it looks fine, but the comet shape doesn't look like all the other images I've seen of it which all look generally the same.

Are you stacking the comet only, then the starfield separately? Then combine. That's how you do it, well that's how I've done my last two.

Im using dss to stack it. you sort of mark the comet nucleous with a tool. not certain if i do that just in one file or all of them. trying all of them now but going to stack less than 89 :)

it seems better so far. 

2 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Im using dss to stack it. you sort of mark the comet nucleous with a tool. not certain if i do that just in one file or all of them. trying all of them now but going to stack less than 89 :)

it seems better so far. 

Not sure with DSS but usually it's the first and last frames so it knows where to head for...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Not sure with DSS but usually it's the first and last frames so it knows where to head for...

Could be. will try other methods once people have commented on next image I post. I'm hopeful, but then I was quite impressed with my green monstrosity earlier :)

Usually you need to do it twice, if you track the comet your stars will be blurry, if you track the stars the comet will be blurry. By doing both separate you then layer one onto the other. I didn't find a way of doing it at once, in DSS or Siril.

At the focal length you've imaged at you'll see this issue straight away unless the total time is very short.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elp said:

Usually you need to do it twice, if you track the comet your stars will be blurry, if you track the stars the comet will be blurry. By doing both separate you then layer one onto the other. I didn't find a way of doing it at once, in DSS or Siril.

I think dss does it twice, the way you describe. With 2x drizzle it does seem to take a suitbly long time. Not brilliant on stars but it looked promising. Will post it asap. Should be better than earlier version.

Also I'm starting to wonder if phd2 choosing comet A3 as one of the multi stars to guide on caused an issue

I did a couple of shots of this one with my 90mm and concluded a few 10s subs were sufficient to get some detail and avoided comet stacking processes.  I did get some odd gradient if pushed on the exposure though so not much detail on the anti-tail.  This one is 18 x 10s subs on the 533MMp.2023-A3Atlas1.thumb.jpg.07e49b5bdadd401c8a20f42c8011b3c1.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Martthebass said:

I did a couple of shots of this one with my 90mm and concluded a few 10s subs were sufficient to get some detail and avoided comet stacking processes.  I did get some odd gradient if pushed on the exposure though so not much detail on the anti-tail.  This one is 18 x 10s subs on the 533MMp.2023-A3Atlas1.thumb.jpg.07e49b5bdadd401c8a20f42c8011b3c1.jpg

I accidentally (don't ask lol) managed to stack the two 300sec test subs I took before it went too low. Looked ok. Might revert to that one or try similar to what you said - maybe stacking 10 consecutive 30sec ones.

Thanks for the help :)

• Like 1