Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opinions on Hyperion Zoom?

There were a number of people at SGL4 with the Baader Hyperion Zoom:

Baader Planetarium - Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece

I had a quick look, and was quite impressed.

I like the idea of not scrabbling for EPs in the dark, particularly as my viewing sessions are snatched between breaks in the cloud, and when I have time...

With relatively slow scopes like mine, I would think it would work well.

I appreciate that a zoom will never be quite as good as a fixed EP, but it seems to be well spoken of.

As a fixed alternative, I quite like the sound of the WO UWANs, but ideally I'd like something around 13mm. Unfortunately the WOs are only available as 4,7,16 and 28mm.

And these each cost as much as the Hyperion Zoom.

Any opinions?

I think you tried my Hyperion Zoom on the PST which gives good images of the Sun.

I should have let you use it on your 6" SCT on Saturday night at SGL4 because I think you would have been pleased with the results. If I had a criticism it would be that the FOV at 24mm is about 50 degrees but seeing that you have a Hyperion 24 that would not be a problem.

If you are staying with your F10 SCT then I would recommend it for the convenience that you would get especially doing quick grab and go.

I can't remember where you lived but if you are coming to Hereford again in the near future you are welcome to view through my SCT before you commit yourself.

Regards

Mark

Cheers Mark.

Yes, I was impressed with the zoom on your Coronado (which I also covet), and a couple of other people had them too. Luke and Sarah had one on their C6S, and that was pretty impressive.

I agree with you about the narrow field at 24mm, but as you say, I've got that covered with the other Hyperion.

thanks for the offer. Next time I'm heading near Hereford, i'll let you know. :)

I'm interested in the WO UWANs, but although people say they're great, I haven't met anyone who actually owns one...

Hi Jarndyce,

I've used the Hyperion zoom in an f/5 newt and really enjoyed it. No more EP swapping for a lot of purposes. There were some minor optical problems as you would expect with an f/5 scope but in your SCT that will disappear.

I have a 28mm UWAN and it's just brilliant. I hear the 7mm and 4mm are also, but there are mixed messages about the 16mm. However, some SGL members (Jahmanson and Helen in particular) have had the 16mm UWAN and loved it.

Andrew

Cheers Andrew.

I always value your advice.

The field of view on the UWANs really appeals, but the ease of use of the zoom would be great. i suspect the zoom would get a lot of use.

Pity there's no intermediate between the 7 and 16mm.

How do you find the eye relief on the UWAN?

Archived