Mounts vs flight travel: are counterweights allowed in carry-on?

Soon flying with my astro gear, most of my stuff streamlined, light as possible. Still have some weight left from my carry-on allowance, not to mention I've never seen carry-ons being weighed. Question is, can I keep the SA GTI counterweights on board? Heard the shaft can be considered as a weapon, I'd put that in the checked luggage, but another 2.5kg would really cut into my Ryanair's 20kg checked allowance.

If that helps: flying out from Edinburgh to Tenerife.

Edited by GTom

Just returned FUE, and as I do with other trips, counterweight goes in the hold for me. Security/airline may class it as a weapon/blunt instrument and not allow it onboard in hand luggage so I just lob the mount, counterweight and tripod in my checked bag. Never had a problem so far... 

... From a SA GTI user.

• Like 2

Technically mounts are solid lumps of metal, I'd even say my HDs are more dangerous than CWs due to their sharply designed edges, but airlines allow these in carry on?

Have you considered using hollow, dumbbell weights? I made up a couple a few years ago when I was carrying my vixen mount all over everywhere. I filled the dumbbell weights with sand from my destination (there is usually plenty of that around).

• Like 2

It would be good if the airlines followed the practice of mount manufacturers when quoting payload capabilities - just count the weight of the OTA, and the counterweights travel for free.

• Haha 4